1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretting an Ashbory - Doable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by llamalor2112, Apr 26, 2010.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Hey, looking into getting an Ashbory to go along with my Kala UBass (despite being sure that I'll still prefer my U) but was wondering if anyone knew of a somewhat simple and effective way to add some sort of frets to the Ashbory in a similar fashion to the frets on the Kala basses?

(I would plan on using the Pahoehoe strings so, I know they should work with a fretted setup to still produce a nice upright-like sound.)

Thank you much, any ideas are welcomed!

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Looking at my Ashbory, I really don't think so. Seems like a total non-starter. :(

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    NOPE!

4. devtodd1

devtodd1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ashbory? run don't walk away.

5. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    While I couldn't agree less with the "run away" statement, I don't think fretting it is really a viable option. The lines that are there are ballpark at best, and I think you'd probably destroy the neck in the process. That being said, I find it to be a blast to play and it sounds huge.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    No. Get a Kala Ubass.

7. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    The scale of the bass is so small to begin with that I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to adding frets, especially past the 15th fret or so, since the fret spacing is so tight. You'd need embryo's fingers to fret up there.