fretting at the top of the neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Otto_Maddox, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Otto_Maddox

Mar 28, 2004
    Hey all,
    Firstly let me apologize if this question has been asked before. Please point me to a similar topic if this is the case. I am curious as to what the fretting hand position should be at the top of the neck. Right now I use my index finger at fret 1, middle at fret 2, ring at fret 3, and pinky at fret four. I find that this is a little difficult and that my reach is not so good. I have heard that combining the ring and pinky finger will help stop buzzing as well as increase strength in the pinky and ring finger. What would you all recommend I do before I pick up too many bad habits :confused: .
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Generally the rule is one finger per fret. If you are just begining then a little buzz is normal. If it buzzes everytime a note is fretted, then you have a setup problem and probably needs a truss rod adjustment.

Hope that helps
  3. Tombo

Tombo Guest

Mar 7, 2004
    New York, USA
    Just do alot of stretching and eventually your fingers will getting stronger and it will be a natural thing.
  4. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Don't let the 1 finger/fret thing become a dogma. In low positions, you may want to emulate the double bass players who basically cover a 3 fret range with fingers 1 2 and 4. For this to work, you have to be using your LH thumb as a pivot. See my post