1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretting fingers

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Hazyprawn123, May 19, 2017.

1. Hazyprawn123

Hazyprawn123

May 19, 2017
    Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to learn bass guitar but I have have 1 finger amputated on my fretting hand. It's the ring finger so finger 3. Is there any advice on technique to fret with only 3 fingers? I assume I would just need to shift more. Thanks

2. you may get more responses in a different forum on here.

anyway check out upright bass technique. they only use 124 fingers in the first few positions.

Hazyprawn123 and Mushroo like this.
  3. Hazyprawn123

Hazyprawn123

May 19, 2017
    Thanks I'll check that out. It's not a major issue as I just shift more just thought I would seek a bit of advice.

4. I usually use 124 fingerings myself when I play electric. It's pretty common actually :)

Hazyprawn123 likes this.
  5. You may want to ask here as well. Technique [BG]
    You'll get more responses.

Hazyprawn123 likes this.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You may find this video inspiring. One of the best guitarists of all time only had two working fingers on his left hand:

And then of course there is this guy. ;)

jerry-garcia.

Hazyprawn123 likes this.
  7. JasonFil

JasonFil

Dec 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Actually, I think you'll be just fine with 1-2-4. That is, index, middle finger, pinky. That's a very common technique, and there are some arguments for using it instead of 1 finger per fret: