Fretting-hand finger replacement

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CJK84, Jan 7, 2005.

1. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    When playing two different notes that require little or no space between them, I sometimes find that it works best to fret the first note, then seamlessly replace the fretting finger with another finger to allow for a smoother transition to the second note.

When done well, the replacement is audially unnoticeable to the listener (I should add that I do this on a fretted bass).

I got this idea from piano technique and it helps me on the bass when playing legato phrases on ballads.

Anyone else use this?
  2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I do it also. My guess is that its not good bass technique though. On a piano, you can switch fingers while keeping a key depressed and not effect the sustain of the note in any way. I suspect that is more difficult to do on a bass, but in reality nobody but a fellow bass player, with godlike hearing, would notice anyway.
  3. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Actually, I think it's fairly easy to do it well.

I'll admit that I do it on slow-tempo songs - it's easy to do when the note you're holding is 2 or more beats in duration and the tempo is under 100 bpm.

I've found that it can help my left hand avoid difficult stretches when playing smooth, connected passages.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's perfectly good bass technique IMO if you do it well. Classical guitarists use this technique too.
  5. Ah, yes. I've thought about using this technique, but never really gotten into it. That'll be something cool to try, thanks for bringing it up!
  6. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    yeah i do it from time to time, done well the finger can be transferred seamlessly - useful if you ever get to a point you realise you really need to have a better hand position for the next section/phrase whatever but alse really need to sustain that note for as long as pos!!!

Useful in solo arrangements as well when things occasionally don;t fall as nicely under the fingers as you wish they would!!