1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretting hand: How to extend into 5 half steps Fretless

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JonathanD, Jul 28, 2012.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Could someone please help with this?
    Take for instance I am playing in D major. Lets say I want to play an F# F F# movement. I am familiar and comfortable with the 4 frets/1 finger per fret method. Could someone help me with how to get that last note while keeping pitch?

Thank you,
    Jonathan

2. Sorry if this is not what you're needing...

The low F and F# (on the E string) are tempting. They are commonly thought of. But in this scenario, depending on what the movement/speed etc of the piece is, perhaps they are out of reach in terms of your quickness. Consider simply going up an octave for those. You'll be within reach.
    :bassist:

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    im not sure if I understand your question well so maybe I'm wrong.

there shouldn't be a problem playing F# with your pinky and F with your ring, you don't have to shift. If its because you can't stretch too far then you just need practice (your hands aren't used to that stretch).

Personally when I play fretless I almost always use 124 technique (upright technique) because it helps with intonation and it also relaxes my hands/wrist/arm. I would suggest taking a look at that technique especially if you are playing in the lower positions and also especially if you are playing fretless.

One of the reasons upright bass players don't use the 4 fingers (except for thumb position) is intonation, with such wide spacing it becomes difficult to play in tune and also stressing to stretch that much.