1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretting hand Pain!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by beyondat, Apr 25, 2009.

1. beyondat

beyondat Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Hello, I have been playing bass for a about 14 months and I am starting to play more chords especially songs like "Hey" (RHCP) and ever since I have been stretching to reached the notes my fretting hand hurts in the process. Is this something that will go away as my hand get used to the motions? should I stop because I would not want to damage my hand for good?

2. yea, that happens with chords. as long as you don't wrap your hand around it too much (if your thumb is above the neck, it will cause pain that way). If your thumb is relaxed but on the back, there won't be too much pain after you build some endurance. (personal experience)

3. beyondat

beyondat Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    I was actually using my thumb to fret, I guess that explains it. I have to figure out another way to fret D on the 7th fret and C on the 8th fret at the same time. Thanks

4. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    I'd recommend index on seventh and middle on 8th

Your thumb should stay on the back of the fretboard at all times.
    There's two different kinds of pain - the good and the bad. The bad way is if you feel you are stretching nerves/joints in your wrist and if it hurts a while after you stop playing.
    The good way is if you feel its the muscles in your wrist/fingers that are strecthing. Be careful!