Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretting Hand Pains

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassPanther, Aug 24, 2002.

1. I find that when I'm playing I get some pain in my thumb when I anchor it behind the neck of the bass. I have a tendency to put all the pressure on my thumb (i.e. using my thumb to hold the fingers down)
    Is there some way I can eliviate this pain or do I need to just toughen up my thumb?

2. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    loosen up a little bit. Also, how long do you play before you start having pains??

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I used to have the same problem, it went away, after a few months, have no idea why. try streaching your thumb when it starts to hurt. then let it rest, then do it again, should build up it's strength.

4. Actually I should've said it's more soreness then anything. It usually starts after about 20-30min

5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    just stretch your hand out when you play. you will get use to playing longer sets. Also, You will probably see more pains in your hand if you are in to playing Bass fast with your fingers. I (seriously..) just close my eyes and deal with the pain or "soreness".

Its just as if you were lifting weights and you feel as if you can't lift on the ninth rep but you concentrate and are able to do it. As time goes on, you could peobably do 20 reps of that same weight.

Just give it time.:p :cool:

6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I had the same thing some time ago. Solution was quite simple - I was using to much strenght. You should be able to pull you thumb away from the neck, and still be able to play clear notes.
    -
    Besided that. When it hurts - stop. Wait. Start playing again. After six months, you should be okay.:D

7. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yep, had the exact same problem a few years ago when I switched from hanging my thumb over the neck, and placed it in the middle of the neck. The reason for my pain was because I was squeezing way too hard. The pain subsided when I lightened up on the death grip I had on the neck. Spend some time practicing with your thumb not touching the neck at all. That will help you lighten up.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    you should be able to play iwthout actually holding the neck with your thumb, so you're just fretting the notes without pressing on the back of the neck. i do this fora few mins if my thumb starts to hurt.

i usually only get that pain when i'm playing down the nut end anyway.