1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretting Hand Pinky Pains

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Snerek, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    the past few band rehearsal i've been getting a very bad pain in my pinky. its in the middle section (pinky had 3 sections) its the top of the middle section. i can feel something weird moving and clicking in there and it hurts a lot!

i'm going to try and rest it, and ice it and maybe even buddy it up (tape it) to my ring finger for a little bit

whats the deal here?

anyone else have this problem?

ps - i always stretch and warm up before playing and play almost every day with a light touch and good technique

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    stop playing for a while and see if it gets better if it doesn't do see a doctor.

my pinky hurt for a good long while till i got the strength to actually use it (tiny snausage of a pinky :)

3. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    I had sort of the same problem for a while. I had been playing for about a year or so, when suddenly my pinky started having troubles. What happened was that the tendons (I think they're called) in my pinky had become swollen, so they couldn't actually pass through whatever it is they're passing through in there, which means that it kind of became stuck, and I had to literally force it to bend beyond a certain point.
    I never really did anything to combat it, I was just a bit more careful with how I used my pinky and stretched out and warme up a bit more, and after a while it just returned to normal.

4. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    its just such a weird problem. i'm heading to chicago without my bass tomorrow so i wont be playing for 7 days.

we'll see if that helps at all

5. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    I also had a similar problem. I used the 1-2-4 method for awhile to get me through gigs. In the meantime I spent a lot of time working on scales and other finger exercises to develop my dexterity and strength. Now I don't have much of a problem.