Fretting hand problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass87, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Whenever I fret with my ring finger, my pinky seems to want to kinda of fall down away from the fretboard. This means that fretting with my pinky after fretting with my ring finger is slower and less accurate than I want it to be.

I don't have this problem with my pinky when fretting with my index or middle finger, my pinky stays up next to fretboard, and so fretting is quicker and more accurate this way.

Does anyone else have this problem? What would you suggest to try and get rid of it? I have tried not fretting with my ring finger at all, DB style, but I find it's very cramped on an EB neck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help :cool:
  2. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    I can't see you play, but maybe some general principles should be checked.
    If you keep your palm parallel to the neck you will see that the pinky has about the same reach up as the rest of the fingers. Keeping your hand in that position. practice pentatonic scales using the fingering that starts with the fourth finger (4,2,4,1,4,1,4,1,4,1,4,2,4). If you started on the fifth fret of the E-string the note sequence will be: E-C-D-E-G-A-C-A-G-E-D-A-E. Practice this s-l-o-w-l-y so your fingers get stronger faster. Before I tried this I must admit I was a fourth finger "girlie-man", but now I have been properly "pumped up." You can tell yourself now or you I can tell you later!
  3. Like Dondi said, it just takes practice to gain independence in your fingers. I remember reading somewhere that the same muscle group controls the ring finger and pinky (is this correct?). Maybe that's why a lot of people have trouble with it. In addition to what Dondi suggested I would suggest practicing chromatic scales up and down the neck as well. Start slow and focus on articulation and make sure the frets aren't buzzing or anything and gradually build up speed. You'll get it quickly once you start practicing
  4. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    hey ive had the same problelm sort of i needed more speed and strength in my ring ringer and my pinky hers a great excercise i gound i hope it helps (im already starting to improve)

Click Here
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    just force yourself to use the offending finger, practice makes perfect. it takes time to get these things right.

i've been plyaing 13 years and i'm just starting on a 3 finger technique on the plucking hand.. some lines i just cant use the 3rd finger for, it just takes hours of practce to get it right :)
  6. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    Thanks for recognizing the problem and acknowledging my examples. But If yhou think about he problem, you will see that the idea behind them is to keep your hand in an open position so it becomes natural for you. Exercises in sequence (1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 etc.) don't really do it. The idea is to develope more idependant strength in the hand. When you play your fingers all in a row like that, you let your fingers depend on each other too much. Also, when you really achieve independence, you will be able to conceive of more interesting riffs when you play.