Fretting Hand Thum PAIN

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jifdeng3, Mar 19, 2004.

1. jifdeng3

jifdeng3 Guest

Nov 30, 2003
    Charleston SC
    When i am playing in the proper position (i think), with my thumb in the center of the neck, I get increadable pain in the web between my thumb and 1st finger? Am I in proper position? ANd if so, how do I cease the pain!!!
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have this too. Especially when playing my guitar. With bass it's not so bad. What is this all about?
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What type of bass is it.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Mine is a Jender Fazz Ledux. And my guitar is a Strier Squatocaster. Any diears?
  5. possibly gripping the neck too hard? One thing i try to do from time to time is try playing with my thumb completely not touching the neck. Then when you get the feel fo that, rest (not press!) your thumb on the back of the neck. Playing without your thumb on the back of the neck gives you feel of how hard you have to press, because if you press really hard, you'll have trouble keeping the bass in your hands. You should only grip the neck as hard as you need to to press the strings down. Too much more pressure and you'll have hand problems.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, that does make sense, but bar chords on guitar are hard to do that way.
  7. Well, i play guitar too, so i know that the same principle applies here. Only press as hard as you need to. There's no need to grip the neck very tightly even while doing barre chords. If you need to press really hard to do barre chords, one or more of these things could be wrong.
    1. Your action is too high - the solution is easy, get your action lowered
    2. Your technique is not good - work on your technique. Sometimes there's a string or two that doesnt get pressed down. the solution usually isnt pressing harder, it's changing the shape of your hand. Try it.
    3. Your calluses aren't developed enough. - some chords can be hard to do (or mroe painful to do) without good calluses since calluses allow you to play more easily. All you can do about that is practice more

There's probably more, but i hope this helps. You shouldn't ever have to press very hard or grip the neck tightly...unless you like doing it... ;)
  8. E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I get this pain too. It's called Tendonitis, and anyone can get it when you put too much stress on those tendons in your hand. I would practice some hand exercises, and possibly buy one of those "gripmaster" devices. I've seen them cheap on ebay.