Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretting over frets - a dumb question....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewbieGirlie, Jul 21, 2004.

1. NewbieGirlie

NewbieGirlie

Jul 21, 2004
    UK
    Hi everyone
    I'm sorry this is a really dumb question but I'm just getting in to playing bass.
    What is meant by jumbo frets as opposed to normal frets?
    Is one preferable to another?
    I'm looking to buy a (lefty) bass suitable for a beginner but don't really know where to start - I don't want a great beast of a thing that I can't even pick up!! :crying:
    Thanks guys!

NewbieGirlie
    UK

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It indicates the size of the frets. A jumbo fret is significantly larger than a normal fret. Fenders basses tend to have very large frets. Ibanez basses, on the other hand, tend to have medium frets. The advantage of jumbo frets is that they intonate more precisely, while medium frets are just plain more comfortable for most people. I prefer very, very small frets, personally, just because I like as flat a playing surface as possible.

3. NewbieGirlie

NewbieGirlie

Jul 21, 2004
    UK
    Thanks for the reply.
    I wondererd if jumbo frets may have meant wider frets rather than higher frets!! :rollno:

You live and learn.

NewbieGirlie
    UK

4. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    If this is your first bass keep in mind that the Frett Size is not a main thing to worry about. Im guessing that you probably do not know really how to play, so If you buy a Fender with Jumbo fretts it will be what your hands learn on and become acoustomed too. The same as to if you bought a Ibanez bass. Frett size may come into play later when you buy more bass'. (Which you will, its a curse :bassist: ) After playing some basses and looking at Fretts im sure you will find which size is both most comfortable and easiest for you to play. It varies greatly from player to player.