1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretting parallel (?) notes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bondtana, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    I'm not sure how to word it correctly, but I was wondering if there is a correct fretting technique for playing back to back notes on different strings, but on the same frets?

PS Is there a technical or more appropriate term if I need to reference this again?

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I "bar" it, or whatever the term is.

you're saying you play a note on the 5th fret, a string, then 5th fret, d string for example?

3. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I'd barre the notes too most likely... a little role of the finger can mute well enough for fast passages....If it's a really slow passage I might switch fingers... this also depends on where I'm going with the line. If its a root 5th octave thing I'll use my first third and fourth fingers to fret the notes

4. matthiasss

matthiasss

Jan 21, 2008
    Practice with a metronome for optimal results pick a fret and play the note on the E on one beat then play the same fret on the G. Do this for every finger 10-20 minutes a day! I think I remember Billy Sheehan mentioning this on a youtube clip from his dvd.