Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frettless: Brice vs. Curbow vs. Dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassplyr, May 26, 2004.

1. I am interested in getting a frettless 5 or maybe a 6 to goof around and learn on. I would like to spend about $400(US) at the most, but could possibly go up to $500 if i found something really special. What I want is something decent sounding with a good growl/mwah and some versitility. I play in an original hard rock/metal band, but at home its anything goes style wise.
    Now here is why I picked these three particular brands; they are all pretty much in my price range (new or used is not important),I have read good things about all of them, and they all have an interesting "look". The Brices are very nice looking guitars, and the Curbows and Dean Rhapsodys(sp?) have interesting, unique body designs.
    In a nut shell I am looking for something decent sounding, with a smooth easy playing neck, and an "eye-catching" look, something different - if that makes any sense.
    I would appreciate any info or advice I can get. Thanks.

2. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have this one and it plays really sweet with lots of mhaw. I wasn't going to sell it, but I think I am going to give up on fretless. I'll let you have it for a fair price.

3. I appreciate the offer, but I am really interested in a 5 string...at least.

4. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i had a carbow 5 and it was a nice bass . it has a fast neck
    and the ebanol fret board is smooth! lots of pop! and it has a sound of its own!! :bassist:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a Brice 5, picked it up for $199, and while I own much more upscale basses, I really think the Brice plays well and sounds suprisingly good.

6. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    You have a PM

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've played the Fretless Dean Edge 6 and the Fretless Curbow 5 and 6, and both are good basses for the money. I prefer the Dean because it has a more natural sound and teh is more comfortable to play in general- the dean neck is great, and it has a good thumpy punch, with a decent amount of "Mwah". The Curbow is a bit more sharp sounding and not as mellow- it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable to play if you are sitting down, and has neck dive when standing up. I'd recommend the Dean over the curbow. I believe the Dean Edge basses still have EMG-HZ pickups that are re-labeled with the Dean name.

One other bass to try is the Spector "spectorcore" semi-hollow fretless. It has a nice natural tone with solid lows and very clear highs. New it is about $550, but used you can get it for around $400. It has both an EMG humbucker and internal piezo pickup- lined neck, available in 5 and 6 string.

I haven't played teh brice, but from eh reviews and comments I've seen, it appears to be a respectable bass, but not quite up to par with the Dean and Spector.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Brice V2 6 string fretless and I've looked at the newer Brice basses at Rondo when I visited. I also have a Dean Edge 5 fretless and I've played Cort Curbow fretlesses as well as Dean Edge 6 in stores.

The Brice is a usable bass. Parts quality is not good but is sufficient, sound is nice (pickups are actually nice sounding), playability is nice (neck is sweet), looks good. I'm keeping the Brice 6 fretless and selling the Dean Edge 5 because I want to have more chrodal options. The Brice V2 plays easily sitting down and has little neck dive because of the long upper horn.

That said...

The Dean and Cort basses are orders of magnitude superior to the Brice. Everything is superior. The neck, body, hardware, pickups, feel, you name it. The Brice is a big step down below the Dean and the Cort in every facet, but it is a decent instrument.

Good luck and have fun!

The Dean can be had new at Musician's Friend for about $500. It's a bargain at that price. A Brice V2 is less than 1/2 the money and is a decent insrument. I personally like the V2 Brices much better than the HXBs and they're only $200 new!

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I also have a Brive V2 6-string fretless. I wasn't totally happy with the sound. So I completely replaced the electronics with a set of Active EMG 45-DC's and an Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amp. Now it sounds as good as a really expensive fretless. It's worth it for the money, especialy if your not dead set on being a serious fretless player. You will get your money's worth out of that bass though.