Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frettless to fretted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Oct 28, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone!

I always see posts about converting fretted basses to fretless, but what about doing the opposite? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert a fretless bass to a fretted bass? Other than putting frets on the fingerboard, would any other major changes need to be made? Just asking cause I saw a fretless EB/MM Sabre for sale at Basspalace.com. It's an incredible looking bass but, alas, no frets. Since it is Ernie Ball Era I'm wondering if you could go through EB to get them to fret the fingerboard... anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has done anything like that. Thanks!

--kid

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh, a piece of cake.
    All you've got to do is
    - slot the board in exactly, yes, exactly, the right places
    - press in the frets with utmost precision
    - dress the frets very thoroughly, to the right height and to remove every little burr
    - get a new nut
    - make the nut slots precisely the depth needed, and with the proper rounding

Well, that's about it. I might have overlooked something in the haste.

A mighty big chunk of heavy duty cake, that's all.

3. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I knew refretting a fingerboard would be a difficult task, I just didn't know if any other adjustments or modifications would have to be made to other parts of the bass. I don't know much about frettless basses and how they differ from fretted basses except for the obvious (having no frets).

Getting a new neck would definately be a good way to go, but I would have to find a used one since they don't produce Sabres anymore.

Anyway, I was just curious about that. Thanks for the replies!

--kid