1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretwear again *sigh*

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Insanity^2, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I've never replaced the strings on my bass, but I've only been playing a year or so :smug:
    Recently (as in, an hour ago) I got given £400 ($786) by my grandma :D as she heard I was into bass :eyebrow:
    So I'm going straight for a Bongo unless I can find a Warwick Thumb NT or Spector aroundd $1000 :rolleyes:
    What I came here for, rather than to just blabber on, was to see if I should go straight for flatwounds, to minimise fretwear? I heard they're a bit useless for slap though, and the sound wasn't as snappy, and I'm into modern prog. rock so that might not work too well, any advice would be lurrvely :bassist:

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    You're going to use flats just because you're afraid of fretwear? Paranoid much?

Don't worry about it man. It's just fretwear. In 2-3 just pay the $75 and get a fret level/setup and that's only if you like super slammed action. If use use medium action you probably won't need one for 6-8 years. If you dig the way flats sound, go for it, but if you don't then don't worry about it.

3. you do realise that you can play a bass for like 10 years before it needs a fret job? and that with only roundwound strings...

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    nice grandmother.

5. Hell yeah :smug:
    But then again, she bought my sister so much jewellery over the years, and I didn't even get an earring :eyebrow:
    And my sister got £400 towards her trip to Ecuador with her Uni so 'sall good.

I'd be extremely paranoid with a new bass ^^ It'd come to school for my exams, and otherwise only come to band practice, rest of the time I'd be playing it in it's case :meh:

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up!

6. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    IMG_1420.

That's a picture of 15 years of playing with stainless steel roundwound strings on this bass and that's the worst spot I can find. I don't think you're going to have to worry too much about fretwear. It's not a big deal.

7. Tubakid09

Tubakid09

Jan 25, 2008
    Yeah, my rockbass has had roundwounds on it all its life, according to the guy that sold it to me and the most wear it has is on the neck pickup... the jackass ground the E string into the pickup and it has a wide gash from it.

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    The only strings that I've found to cause advanced fretwear are Rotosounds. I used them on my Jazz for the first year or so of its life and the frets got tore up fast. I've since switched to DR strings, and haven't seen as much as a scratch.

9. rickfan63

rickfan63

Dec 5, 2006
    I agree completely. DR's are great sounding and feeling strings, and they are very fret friendly. Roto RS66's are really rough on frets in my experiences with them. That's why I quit using them.