Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretwear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Led Zeppelin, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin

Mar 30, 2005
    hello,
    I play my new warwick bas for almost 1 year now, and I notificed that my bass has got very much fretwear. Does anyone know how I can prevent this?

(I'm sorry for the language faults, I dont speak very good english :bag: .

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Play with a lighter touch. Let your amp do the work, not your hands.

Use softer strings. Consider groundwounds, pressurewounds, nylons, or flatwounds.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. Some of my basses have fretwear too. It is the price I pay for playing aggressively, and using stainless steel roundwounds. I know that eventually, the frets will need to be dressed. And after a couple of dressings, they will need to be replaced.

The cost of doing business!:)

3. Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin

Mar 30, 2005
    should it help if I used nickelwound strings?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes; it also helps if you bend less.
    Mine's two years ol and even though I play a bit harder than many others, I've still got very little fret wear.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Maybe, but almost all so-called nickle strings are merely thin nickle plate over steel. The plating wears away almost immediately at the fret contact points and you've gained little in terms of preventing wear.

The answer is nickle flats, or flat-surfaced halfrounds or whatever.

The two points:

1: Softer wind alloy (nickle as opposed to stainless or steel)

2: More bearing area between string & fret (flats or half-rounds)

Even stainless flats will be a huge improvement over roundwounds in terms of wear.

Good luck!