Fretwire recommendation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi all,

Someone here has to have used the Stewmac fretwire before...what do you think? It would be really easy for me to order one of their fingerboards and some wire for one of my projects, especially since it will be my first fretting job. I was thinking either wide/medium height or medium width/medium height. I am fairly used to the Warwick thumb frets, and do like them, but am not against trying something new (they do seem a bit high).

At any rate, I'm mostly wondering about the quality of their wire and any probs you had in installing or with the frets after installing. Thanks!
  2. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i am personally getting the largest wires possibe for my first fret job (been making only fretlesses now). they let me do crown jobs without losing too much of the frets.

just a safety thing till i am more experienced
  3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Just FYI. I was able to order pre-radiused fender fretwire on ebay for about $11.50.
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I, too, ordered pre-radiused fender wire on eBay for my first fret job, makes the job easier. Unless of course you want to figure out how to make or buy a jig to radius it yourself. ;)
  5. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've used wire from Stewmac. It was ok, but it was also the first time I ever tried fretting anything. I've since switched to Exotic Woods fretwire (for all I know they could be the same thing - meh).
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Stew Mac wire is pretty good. I use it. If you are already ordering from Stew Mac then by all means buy some.

No idea where Exotic Woods gets their wire. A friend of mine swears by Dimarzio but you can't get small amounts easily.
  7. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i just ordered a pound of Stew-Mac's fretwire earlier today. its the heaviest size.
  8. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I went with the Stew Mac wide stuff. I'm thinking about getting a jig-thing to radius the long strands (pre-clipping) rather than the hand-held one, but for now I'm so caught up with school stuff I barely have time to work on it :(