1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretwire replacement and low action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by R0VER, Jan 16, 2012.

1. R0VER

R0VER

Jul 25, 2011
    Unfortunately, my 4 month old mtd kz5 is in some major need of fret dressing. I'm contemplating replacing them with something more durable and something that aids a very low action (maybe stainless steel?).

Keeping in mind truss rod and string hight adjustments, what sort of fret wire would further help me obtain a great low action (low and wide, tall and thin, mandolin, etc)?

Cheers

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Doesn't matter what wire profile you use, its the cut of the nut, how well the frets are leveled and dressed and the final setup that determines action. Heck you could use halved logs as frets and get low action if all the above are done right.

So what is your exact problem, your frets are chewed and grooved up from the strings? Stainless will help there.

Fret height and profile are a matter of personal preference. Action is measured to the top of the fret, not to the board! If you slam the strings down to the wood, lower frets are the choice because the strings won't bend over the fret much throwing intonation out. If you play light and like to do string bends and vibrato, higher frets may work better.

3. R0VER

R0VER

Jul 25, 2011
    The nut seems to be fine.

Yes, the frets have been chewed up at various spots of the neck resulting in major buzz and issues such as the same note sounding out of two consecutive frets.

I usually use stainless steel strings and tap, slap, figngerstyle, and harmonics are a big part of my influence of playing-style. What fret-wire height and width is optimum for this?