1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretwire sizes???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zazz, Mar 25, 2006.

1. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    my casady has got to have the smallest and shallowest fret wire that i have ever seen on a bass.

i am thinking of having say stingray size frets fitted which are sort of jumboish.

so whats the downside because as far as i can tell the larger fretwire with a flat top seem to be a more spot on and pleasurable playing experience....ie why did epiphone specify such wimpy frets in the first place?..is it cheaper or something?:meh:

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Actually smaller frets ie mando & banjo frets will give you better spot on intonation.
    Smaller frets are supposed to give you a more woody sound since your strings are actually closer to the fretboard.
    You can also get lower action w/smaller frets.

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    thanks.:)

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well jumbo frets intonate perfectly if they are crowned and the size of the fret has nothing to do with how far away the strings are set from it. Smaller frets also wear much faster.

5. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i have quite a few guitars of all shapes and sizes and the one that plays amazingly well is a gibson custom which is crowned jumbo frets on ebony...no question of intonation there and its got a warm tone ..not metalic as such.....it must be crowns which make the difference.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you are a hard-presser* then low, thin frets make the bend between the fret and the 'board less - so for people who really push in, they can be more accurate.

* see Jerry Seinfeld's "close-talker"

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I prefers small fretwire. I have banjo fretwire on my #1 bass, and it's great. The precieved height of the strings off the neck is a bit lower...but the distance from the top of the fret to string will remain the same.

Small fretwire WILL keep your intonation more precise if you don't get regular fret jobs...I don't notice any increased wear, and less metal means more wood in your tone. They also just feel faster.

And yes, I have several basses and guitars with 'jumbo' frets too.