Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretwork? How to check for ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Well honestly I've been hearing about good/bad fretwork and since I am getting a new Bass I was wondering what exactly is good/bad fretwork and how do I check for it? all tips and pointers would be GREATLY appreciated thanks

(on a side note how is the Geddy Lee sig's fretwork on average)

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The first thing and most important is whether or not all the frets are level. Do you get uneven buzzing across the neck? Can you see gaps under the frets? Are the edges sharp?

3. About your side note...The Geddy Sigs fretwork on average is very good. I have a friend who has one, and there aren't any deadspots and the action is very low b/c of that.

4. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    I have a quick question about my frets on my Geddy Bass. Towards the headstock the frets have what looks to be like small cuts in them. The actual frets themselves. I don't remember if it was like that when I got it. Is that bad.... good.... normal?

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Are the cuts on the top of the fret? They could potentially be marks from a fret file, but I think most marks caused from fret files are usually on the fretboard itself. Did you buy it used? They could be worn. You could get them dressed and that would take care of the problem but if it plays fine in those areas you may not want to bother.

6. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    No I bought it brand new, it came directly from Fender, and yes they are on top of the frets. I've been having trouble with buzzes and clicks so I don't know if this is the problem or not.

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I've been having trouble with buzzes and clicks

bring it in and have it setup, sometimes that's all it takes.

8. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    Setup? What do you mean by that? And bring it in where? A local music store or Sam Ash? Thanks for the help, by the way.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just a local music store that has a guy who does repairs and setups. A setup means that he'll adjust the truss rod and get the proper amount of relief in the neck, adjust the string height and the intonation. If the frets are worn he may have to dress them which can run from $60-$100.