1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretwork

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pkr2, Dec 20, 2006.

1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I find the thread that's going on now, about the fretting gizmo pretty interesting and it occurred to me that fretwork is about the most important difference between an OK setup and a setup that is a dream to play.
    Most everything on an electric bass guitar is an improvisation of an electric guitars design. Up to and often including setup methods. The problem with following the rules as they apply to a guitar, don't work too well on a bass neck.
    . The guitar neck is short and stiff with comparatively light strings on it, but a bass neck is really like a noodle, compared to a guitar neck. You've all noticed that a bass neck is so flexible that you can easily see the pitch change, on a tuner, as you change the orientation from horizontal to vertical.
    The stress from a compression type truss rod can torture the wood in the neck to some unbelievable contortions, creating some weird bumps in strange places.
    I'd like some of the guys that have some experience to share a few tips that you have found.
    Anything at all on the subject. After all, it is a discussion board.

I'll start with an observation. Nearly every failed fret dressing that I've ever seen started out with chasing one buzz around the neck until the fret material ran out. 99% of the time they were trying to dress a neck that was bending all over the place as they were dressing. The neck must be well supported at more than a couple of points. Keep in mind that it's much more flexible with the string off.

IMHO

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    keeping the FB flat and level during fretwork is mandatory to get a good consistent action. After stringing, it is necessary to identify any buzzes correctly, and not just guess. A fret rocker/ small straight edge helps greatly in finding those miniscule high spots. It's all about prep and amonut of effort to go along with knowledge