Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frick, I'm waffling now...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 11, 2003.

Which bass would YOU pick?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2003.
  1. Lakland Skyline 55-01

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. MTD Kingston Heir 5

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. MusicMan SUB 5 string (yes they exist)

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I thought I had my mind made up... thx to everyone's help. Go w/ a Lakland 55-01. Well, the more I look at this MTD Kingston Heirs, the more I start ponder them. Additionally, I played a MusicMan SUB this weekend, & really kinda liked it,, better than any MIM Fender Jazz I picked up that day, anyways...

SO, you've got $700 to spend on a bass, which would YOU pick???

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would get the Lakland cause they rock.

3. Those are all sweet basses. I'd say the lakland just because it is the most versatile.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you played them all? Which one sounds/feels/looks the best to your ears/hands/eyes?

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I have only played a MusicMan SUB 4 stringer, as they're readily available at GC. The MTD & Lakland are not very accessible in my area. However, the fanfare surrounding these basses is all the evidence I need. Besides, I'm asking which one YOU, the readers of this forum would choose.

6. I'm sure they're all fine choices, and I doubt you can go seriously wrong with any of them. However, I do own a 55-01 and am amazed at what a great bass it is for the money.

Mike

7. I'd take the Mtd Kingston.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here's another vote for the Lakland. Great bass for the price.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    buy a used stingray 4.
    -Bazz-

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's a SUB 5?! Kewl!

11. Wow! That's nice! It actually looks like a StingRay (whereas the SR5 looks more like the Sterling)!
    [​IMG]

12. when i was at lakland, the only bass i played that i didn't like was a 55-01. i didn't expect that at all. i strongly urge you to play whatever bass you want to buy.

it really depends upon what you're trying to accomplish with your new bass, but i strongly urge you to buy what is available to you -- there's a lakland dealer in columbus, so why not give them a call? they're also an mtd kingston dealer, so you can get a feel for the heir, too. you really have to play a bass to understand what it's capable of and how it feels and sounds.

of course you can make educated guesses (e.g. have you played any laklands before?), but if you're going in blind, that's a recipe for disappointment and financial loss. do some research! it took me 20 seconds to find the dealer for mtd and lakland in columbus on line, and their phone number is listed. if you can't even call them when you want to spend $700, well...

robb.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    used sr 5 or a used 55-02

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yes, there is A dealer in central Ohio, that carries both MTD & Lakland. However, they're a high end retail shop, that is VERY price gouge oriented. I've been there a couple of times, & was completely ignored both times. Hmmm, seems like a good reason to go there,, use them for thier stock & then give someone ELSE the bizz...

15. ding! ding! ding!
    tell him what he's won, johnny!

yes, there is no contract that forces you to buy a bass from a store if you play some of their instrument. if you really don't like the store, try to hold your nose and play basses at the same time, in order to get a feel for tone and playability, and then buy what you want from where you want.

do not, i repeat, do not buy without playing first. there are very few exceptions to this rule for me.

as for your choices, i was not very enamored of either the 55-01 (the 55-02 was pretty fly dogs) or the kingston. i'm not optimistic an heir would be any better. playability on both was excellent, but i didn't groove with their tones. but that's just me.

and since i haven't played a S.U.B., i don't feel right voting for it. if i had to hedge my bets, though, that would be my choice, for what it's worth (not likely much).

robb.

16. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I don't know if this helps or not but it would sway my decision. The Lakland you are refering to in the $700 range is it the Skyline series? If so they are not USA made. Don't get me wrong it is a nice bass. I'm getting the 4 string SUB shortly. I've played them at GC and like the way they sound. I have a SR4 and like the way the SR5 sound but hate the way they look. When the SUB 5 comes out I will more than likely get it also.

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The 55-01 is a skyline & it's still getting rave reviews.

BTW, I took a short trip to "OVERPRICED" retailer here today, & found a 55-01,, & played it... I have cast my vote accordingly. HOWEVER, Everyone,, please feel free to have fun w/ the poll!!!

18. My vote is for the Heir. I haven't played either of the other basses, but I absolutely love my heir. I don't really like the Bart Mk-1 (?) pickups that are in the 55-01, and the SUB, assuming that it's like the SR5, probably has narrow string spacing.

19. the S.U.B. is the only US-made bass of the three.

robb.

20. I think the Lakland sounds the best to me. I played the SUB 5 and it was good but the lakland has more tone to it. at least in my opinion.