1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frickin' Oscar Peterson

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    On Sonny Stitt's "Only The Blues"... the track is "The String". Oh yeah, the solo is great, but what kills me the most is Oscar's freight train comping behind the soloists. Yow.

Okay....just mentioning it, because it was just on Sirius. Oscar gets so much love for his soloing, but his comping's unreal.

2. Yeah Marcus, O.P. was blessed with extra large uh........
    Well you know. ;)

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Tonsils? :D

I hear you, though... on this track, he's doing that cool bop/flirting with stride comp that's just scary.

4. Yeah, I've heard him do that.
    I talked to him about that once. I said " Hey O, yer takin' the show away from the horn players! "
    He said: " **** you. " :eyebrow:

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, pretty close. But on the plus side, there was no doubt in my mind as to the identity of the pianist on this track. Just so propulsive and unstoppable. I'd be going nuts if I had that to solo over.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I just recently saw again the JAZZ ICONS program of Ella in 57 being backed up by the OP Trio (Ray and Herb Ellis) PLUS Papa Jo Jones. All he was doing was comping ( I think there was one solo) but the band was ****ing swinging their collective ass off.