1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Friday the 13th weirdness

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TJBass, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. So i get to work this morning early, decide to do a little jammin now that i have the firmware update on my ms60b. So i daisy chain it, my flanger and my delay, plug in my 1spot, then turn on the amp.

Suddenly it seems all my gain levels on the ms60b are dimed. I get alot of feedback because im standing right in front if the cab. A half a second later, i see a flash from behind the amp, then silence. I unplug everything as fast as i can and go to work.

For the next hour or so im regretting plugging in this morning. Knowing i just smoked my amp. Then i decide to crack it open and look for the damage. It seemed like it came from the fan/heatsink area that the power module is mounted to. No sign of anything burned, melted, exploded or on fire. Check the internal fuse...still good.

So i plugged everything back in except the effects and 1spot. Amp works perfectly....cab sounds great....what happened????

So i may have a theory. When the flash happened, i did lose sound, but not power to the amp or the effects. But i did only have 3 pedals on the 1spot and the extra power plugs did not have little rubber protectors in them. I didnt see that as a problem since the outside of the connector should be negative.

So, either my joyo delay blew up or one if the extra 1spot connectors shorted to the amp case and burned up 1 or all 3 of my effects pedals. I had to get back to work so ill try powering them up later today. Ugh...

2. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Woah.. I've just stayed in all day...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Parallel universes...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Wow... well I’m sure it’s a lot easier getting thru the day knowing your amp is ok! That’s good news!

Plz let us know what you find out... I never really paid much mind to the 1Spot connectors.. maybe that’s a major oversight on my part?

Curious to hear what you find. I HOPE it was just a Freak 13th occurrence & everything is fine!

5. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    No idea how to post a you tube thing here, but a favorite with me has always been ....
    Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall playing Friday 13th.... maxresdefault.

Dudaronamous likes this.
  6. Aww man, now I gotta dig out my Monk CDs, you suck.

ctmullins, Pug the Pig and Matt Dean like this.
  7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Me too... :)

8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Just copy the link from the address bar on the utube page and paste it in your reply.

9. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    One possibility... if your cab has a tweeter it may be protected by a light bulb as a fuse. These are often automotive dome light bulbs. You may have overdriven the tweet and popped it's fuse causing the flash.

10. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Ok..I try that utube thing next time...:thumbsup:

Pbassmanca and ahc like this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    they always work better after you let some of the smoke out... :)

BOOG, ahc and Pug the Pig like this.
  12. Got real lucky. Looks like the one connector that didnt have the rubber cover connected with the shroud on the fan, on the back of the amp. Pedals seem to power up fine but have had no time to test them. 20180413_120612. 20180413_090201.

13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Glad it all worked out.... Every now and again we get this little nudge; be careful out there....

14. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I was born on Friday the 13th to a mother whose b/d was Halloween. The only thing weird about that is me, according to my wife.

Oddly, Pug the Pig and Pbassmanca like this.
  15. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    My Friday the 13th weidness came from our gig last night. We were performing at a local brewery for their first deck party for the season. My guitarist showed up 25 minutes before we were supposed to play (usually shows up 15 before the gig). We tuned, did a quick sound check and played. He got lost on 4 of our standard songs and his sound completely changed throughout the house of the gig, although he never touched his amp or changed his pedals....just weird

16. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Should read "throughout the COURSE of the gig"

17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I've had stuff like this happen on the 12th, 13th, 14th, etc. It's always something!!

18. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    My Friday the 13th weirdness happened at the grocery store. At the checkout counter my bill came to $118.00 and change but I had some coupons and I gave them to the checker. After she scanned my coupons my bill was $119.00 and change. I said " I thought the coupons were supposed to take off money". All she said was " I don't know".

19. Yep you have to keep the plastic caps on the unused connectors. If you have multiple un-capped ones floating around, the chances of trouble multiply. I’ve seen it happen on Thursday the 12th as well. :thumbsup: