1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fridges... A dying breed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ferdugan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    810's are no longer necessary, they haven't been in decades. But, at least here in America, consumers love to have what they don't need. Big houses, big gas guzzling trucks with giant wheels, super-sized value meals, etc. 810's will always be around, many buy them for the sound, others buy them because they look cool.

810's aren't common on the TB forum. From my observations, most people on this forum are experienced players, who know what their doing. There are several people who swear by a sealed 810 on the forum.

I'm having LDS build a custom 810 for me, inspired by both the Berg NV610 and the classic Ampeg Flat Back.

It's not necessary and I can easily get by with a efficient 410. I'm not buying it for the look, however. I'm buying one because I feel a sealed 810 gives me the tone I want.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    IMHO

Playing loud releases endorphins and give you a buzz.
    Fight or flight kicks in. Also your body goes into protect mode, so what is loud at first isn't so loud after a while. Movies have got this down pat, quiet parts and loud parts.

Getting in the zone also releases endorphins. Good music. Also other stimulus like light and color.

You have a lot better control of your sound when you give to FOH. FOH is more capable these days. You don't need big on stage cabs to be buzz worthy.

300w was a lot of power a few years ago. And expensive. It's now a night light, and big power is cheap. Generally, more cones give you more loudness at a given wattage, but with huge wattage increases in today's amps, and new engineering in driver technology, you can get by with less cones.

The fridge size cabs are being laid down in favor of more power, esthetics, lighting, and big screens. The music is still good without the backdrop.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I hear you about the on stage sound produced by a rig that has speakers from ground level to ear... I just gotta have it. But I've gone the stacked 1x15 route for many of the reasons mentioned above... but, mainly that it makes load in and out much easier.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1!!!!!

When I first came to T.B. 10" drivers and Eden and SWR was the "end all be all".

Then everyone seemed to change over to 12" drivers and Genz and Markbass.

At present it's 15" drivers in Greenboy's designed type enclosurers and G.K. and Puma.

Tomorrow???

That's the fun of T.B. for me, seeing what's next!

5. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    When I went with a custom big cab build, this is why I went with an 810. It seems there's a lot of flavors of the month going around, and I simply don't have the money to experiment. I have several cabs, but my 810 will be my largest. It's a time tested design.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've never owned one and never will. Even my 4x10 cab hasnt left the garage for over 3 yrs which is probably going on over 150 gigs by now.

In the last 15 years I can count the number of times I've played thru a fridge on one hand and still have digits left over.

But I wouldn't bet against them still being made, sold and gigged 10 yrs from now. There's enough folks out there who won't give up their 8x10 till the day they're buried in it and that's completely their prerogative.

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1.....

There will always be a large job/stage where "only" a 810 will cover it.
    (I used to use 300 tube watts and two Ampeg 810's in years gone by.....I miss that!)

8. I have been rehearsing with 2 810's with the following setup:

SVT_zpsc169342d.jpg

We're a loud band, but not over the top. If I wanted a hi-fi rig, I would buy one, but there's a sound you get from 16 30w alnico 10's that is simply unattainable from a modern, multi driver, crossed over cabinet. I'm not razzin' the engineering, clarity, weight, depth or frequency response; I fully understand the benefits of these cabinets- it's just not what I'm currently interested in.

It's a way of the past- no question. 810's aren't making a comeback any time soon, and I'm completely fine with that. :)

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    :eek: :) :) :)

That's the exact set-up I used...LOVE those flatbacks!

10. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    HA! That's the definition of "over the top" as well as "awesome." Playing in front of 40,000 you could argue that it would be necessary, but for rehearsal you have to admit it's a little much.

Someday if i ever play a huge stage again, I'll get a fridge: something like a Berg nv610 or Aguilar db810. But as long as I'm playing little bars with decent sound, I'll stick with my 112's and micro amps.

11. It's not a question of volume... it's a question of tone. Keep in mind these are 240 watt cabinets, and my amp specs out at 316 watts before distortion. With a single 810, you could hear speakers working harder than they wanted to... with both together it's not really any louder, but it's a little thicker, smoother, and tighter down low. The difference is noticeable.

If we're talking about NECESSARY, volume-wise... I'm sure I could get away with a single high powered 15 and a very clean modern amp- but that's not the sound I'm after, so really I have 2 810's available to me, and they're exactly what I need as far as my tonal goals, so they ARE necessary.

Think of it this way... when you're in the studio, do you worry about mic placement? Using the right preamp? The right bass? EQ?

Of course you do.

Is it absolutely necessary to worry about all these things?

Of course it is- it's your sound, the sound YOU are associated with, and I'm sure you want it to be the perfect expression of your playing.

I'm picky. Completely picky. I have sounds in my head that I want to get out and for me to make those sounds, I need this gear for my rehearsals. I'll never be a serious professional musician, I'm way too much of a perfectionist (musician). Hope that makes sense.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    At a close distance a 1x10 tone wise is going to sound same as an 8x10.
    Just quieter.

13. PlaysAJunker

PlaysAJunker

Feb 21, 2013
    Do you want to move a big block of drivers (heavy) or move several bass cabs (not heavy)?

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    For the first two years that I was playing full time this (^) is what I was working with.

Over a few years and the abuse of being carried under a tour bus my SVT head started giving me fits.

Parted with the SVT head and went with a G.K. 800 head and one of my 810 SVT cabinets.

Used that set-up for over 29 years!
    Why so many years of use when smaller, easier to carry equipment became available?
    Because we worked at almost every type of setting you can imagine.
    The 810 always worked, it was always enough no matter what was thrown at us.
    I truly can't say that about some of the new small & light weight gear that I have now.

15. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    They're not dying. Name one manufacturer thats discontinued making 810 cabs entirely(i know this is gonna bite me but meh). There will always be a place for fridges on stage.

Personally, I'll always keep an 810. About to get a 4x12. Would like a nice 2x15 at some point. Good to have options. Also I'm a class a man. If I ever need a good paper weight I'll get a combo.

16. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
  17. Mic'd up- sure, a single 10 sounds the same as 16 10's, becuase you've only got the mic in front of a single speaker (in most cases).

Here's the issue- that amp sounds AWESOME with the channels jumped and volumes at about half on each. If you can find me a 300W 10" speaker that has the exact same tonal characteristics as an original 30W CTS alnico speakers that ampeg used in the late 60's and early 70's I'll eat my hat. It doesn't exist. The physics of building a 300watt Alnico 10 are probably undesirable at best. Think of the size of that magnet!!

I've played alot of stuff over the years and there's something special about a squareback 8x10 and it's speakers that I really haven't found a replacement for. I think I've gone the other way around from most players' experience though... I've owned Bag End, Glockenklang and GK cabs, played my share of Eden, Epifani, SWR, Markbass, T.C., Mesa Boogie, and everything in between VERY thoroughly. The 8x10's are new to me, and I'm excited to finally be satisfied with what my rig sounds like. :D

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I know one thing... With what it costs to ship these beasts anymore, the days of finding a great deal on a used 810 cab are about over unless you can find one local (or at least within a reasonable drive). Pretty much all the big cabs on TB Classifieds seem to be "local sale only" these days.

19. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    There will always be room for lost fridges in the Church of DOOM...donations can be made at you local Doomers watering hole.

Rev. DOOM