1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fridges... A dying breed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ferdugan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    It isn't about weight it is about tone. Sure you can make a light weight 810 but if it doesn't sound like the heavier cab then for me it is not an option.

2. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    My own personal opinion is that tone is an unquantifiable quantity, elusive at best, as well as highly personal. Dimensions and weight are very tangible, quantities that everyone understands that make for a meaningful, concrete debate.

Your tone requirements and mine may have zero in common, but we all know what it means to hump a cabinet. Everyone can agree in principle that the modern lightweight cabinets are very capable. Once they're thrown into a live mix, it's pretty much just bass to the average audience member anyway.

If you're willing to deal with the extra heft in pursuit of your tone, then you should. I mostly want to make the job easier and less strenuous. Playing is hard enough.

3. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Agreed.

4. Well put. I think we all have our breaking points as far as 'what I'm willing to haul or what I'm wlling to buy as compared to what I'm actually going to play through', I just haven't found mine yet.

Maybe that RCA BA6a -> Pultec EQ -> Audio Research amp -> Clair Bro's S4's Rig is too heavy to bring to every gig I do, but I don't own it yet, so maybe we'll see. ;)

5. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    I'm not sure which "scene" anyone is in around here. But I still see big cabs regularly.

I have an Ampeg 8x10 and it's one of those safe bet cabs. I've played through stuff I liked as much or more but the Ampeg sounds fantastic and huge.

Aside from stairs, it's not hard for me to wheel it around and load it in and out of a vehicle by myself... Fits nicely into my Subaru Outback wagon along with a couple 4x12 guitar cabs.

6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The Ampeg SVT 8x10 will still be played 100 years from now.

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    And available cheap. :D

:bag:

8. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Most of us don't play large gigs and depend on our own transportation to gigs, and with the price of gas, who can afford a car that transports a lot of gear. That's why I have a lightweight 410, I had it built tall and with a shallow depth, I can easily maneuver it. It doesn't sound nearly as good as a 810 sealed cab IMO, but an 810 at a coffee shop gig is a little much.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Never had one, never cared for the sound...and I was around when they were introduced.

I've been a 215 guy forever, but about 25 years ago I decided to go to single boxes so I could schlepp all my gear without help if need be.

I like hearing other people play through them, though!

10. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    As long as people will still buy them and sound system providers keep them for backlines, we will continue to see them. For the in-the-trenches club players who have to move their own equipment night, after night, they will one day get to be my age and will say "____ this". That segment of the market *may* shrink.

For the record, the most impressive sound I got out of my (former) modulus was through a friend's early 70's SVT+fridge. The top end was burnished, the low mids were punchy and warm. ...sigh Not very practical for my jazz and theater gigs.

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Agreed.

And when you turn up to that massive gig with your great sounding 8x10 - the kind of gig these puppies were made to handle - and the sound guy just puts a DI between your bass and amp, all that lifting was just for an overblown stage monitor.

12. Today I was running 2,000 watts through four fEARful woofers. 810's are out of the picture for me, they aren't loud enough.

13. Thats why I use the cabs i do, and DI post eq.

14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I use a WTDI or the post EQ DI in my amp, too. But unless the cabs are mic'd or they're blasting over the PA mains, they still won't really factor into the FOH sound that much.

15. The sound coming from my cabs is just about identical to what is coming from the mains.

16. My son is a drummer and went on tour with 2 different bands this year and I went to a few multiband shows...every bass player used an svt 810...they had different heads but all used a fridge...what was more amazing is a few bands had road cases for em. I think the road cases cost more than a used cab.

17. Specs- fecks!
    How it feels, sounds, aids the way YOU play is it imo.:cool:
    I know if I use a 1x12 or 1x15 & it's blowing past my knees (or even my nuts, if it's on a crate), I'll either play differently or crank it louder.
    I'd much rather a bigger cab - 810, 412, 215 so it feels & sounds more to MY liking.
    As always, each to their own.

18. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    Depends on the coffee shop.

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm with you. I ended up dropping some newer speakers into my flatback because I felt like I was stressing the originals too much, but oh that smoothness. Nothing else I've played matches that tone. Even with the new speakers it's only like 95% of the way there.

That said, I do have some smaller cabs that can be used alone or in combination for smaller gigs. Not every gig calls for the 8x10, but I'm usually grinning when I'm playing through it.

As far as dying out? They've been around for almost 45 years. They're a known quantity, and I think they'll stick around for a while longer if only for that reason.

20. Preach it Brother!!

I love my Heritage gear so damn much that the head and the cab are in live-in cases (which adds weight) but I don't give a hoot in hell. Still sounds like a million bucks!!:D