1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fridges... A dying breed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ferdugan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Perhaps "a go to cab" and not "the go to cab". i've been gigging since the 70's and can say without hesitation that I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen an Ampeg 810 cab in a club. And that's from gigging in Canada, the States, Persian Gulf, Switzerland and France. Any band touring around is not looking for opportunities to move more gear than they have to. Furthermore, it's easy finding a great sound without resorting to an 810 cab. Bass players should be playing in a band context and not focusing on being out front of everyone. Plus, loading in and out every weekend with large furniture has not been necessary for 40 years, which is why you seldom see them on stages.

I focus more on my playing and sounding great than how I look.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Your experience isn't the same as mine - I've been gigging over 30 years, have played several thousand gigs, and have seen Ampeg 810s on hundreds of stages... I have also used them for provided backline rigs many, many times over the years...

- georgestrings

3. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    It depends on the genre I guess. I see and play with a lot of alternative bands. Anywhere from a few people in a club, to large festivals, the Ampeg 810 is the cab I see most. I'm not saying the Ampeg 810 is the best cab out there, that's all opinion.

It isn't a cab for the weekend warrior. For those who play smaller gigs, it's complete overkill. But the reality is, an 810 it's probably the most used bass cab on big stages.

Band photography is a hobby of mine and I spend a lot of time looking at show pictures on Flickr. The Ampeg fridge is the cab I see most bands use.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My "fridge" is a Mesa 810. Not a big fan of Ampeg stuff.
    But in the rock clubs I've been playing here for 13 years now: bands are booked 3-4 to a night, and you mostly see 810 cabs.
    Doesn't mean there's a tube head sitting on it...which is probably only 35-40% of the time nowadays that I've noticed. But I can probably count on one hand now many times I have not seen an 810 on the same bills we play just over the past year.
    But like Coryfyfe posted, I too have smaller cabs, not every gig calls for a biggie.

Nope! A DI never gets put between my bass and amp. I use enough grit effects that no soundguy puts it there...if I even do get a DI, it goes in the post preamp out.

5. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    +1

I consider a fridge to be any 810 or 412, and above. I've seen 910 and 612's before.

Also, there seems to be a lot of these so call "810" killers floating around that are 1/4 the size and weight. But I've never seen these cabs behind a bassist of a popular band, let alone, outside of Talkbass.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    They're out there, oh yes.

7. No doubt...

Seems like most of the bands I'm playing with are running an SVT 810e or 610HLF with their amp of choice (some the matching SVT CL or not). I really prefer my Mesa cabs for the simple fact that they respond to my EQ tweaks (adding bass, treble, etc) more then the Ampeg cab I had in the past did. I'm super happy with my Mesa cabs and wont be going back, but could see why the Ampeg 810e really is the industry standard.

8. 95543D1B-70EC-4529-953C-9DFD9CDFE66A-7621-000005C89B583F6F.jpg

I just used mine Friday night. Band before us had a small Acoustic combo that I couldn't even hear and the band after us had a nice Aggie setup. Tonehammer head and 2 12" cabs (I think?). He ended up using my cab with his head.

I got into music playing punk and hardcore and I can count the times I've had PA support on one hand. 810s make sense for me. Plug in, turn it up, and play. I've never had mine sound bad.

Edited to add that I'm waiting to have some spare cash to buy a second. Just to see what it's like lol

9. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

May 5, 2008
    Preston,UK
    I recently bought a Laney NX810 and to be honest it's the perfect cab for me. It's sealed, fairly lightweight as 810's go and I have the vehicle to move it.....which helps.

I bought it because I've always struggled to hear single knee/thigh high cabs on stage. I've been through a lot of cabs that simply havn't worked for me.
    I've never had the need to crank it, that's not why I bought it. For me it's in the tone of the thing, it does everything I need with ease. I've tried lots of different Amp/Cab combinations and I've found what works for me....finally. Warwick Thumb NT, Series 6 Trace Eliiot amp and the sealed Laney Fridge. Heaven !!
    It's somewhat a pain in the arse to move about but to me it's well worth the effort. I think there's quite a bit of snobbery surrounding the 810 to be fair but if it works for the individual then each to their own I'd say.
    ;)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    YOU seldom see them on stages. I see them all the time. Not sure why you have the idea that using an 810 is all about drowning out the rest of the band. Must be because you never use them ;) That is so not the reason I will use one. Of course there are other smaller rigs that sound good. Use them if you want. But bigger is always better for bass. It's science.

Well aren't you Mama's special little angel?

:)

I've seen bands who don't care how they look. They're usually not a lot of fun to watch. Consequently, even though I'm not in a band of super handsome folks, we get a lot more gigs because we're fun to watch as well as listen to. Not sure where the idea started that being entertaining onstage and playing well are mutually exclusive, but by not believing in that mutual exclusivity, my band stays about as booked as we want to be.

11. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    I've always suspected the major perk of the 810 was the 4' high cab. speakers pointed at your ears always sound better then the ones pointed at your knees. I would recommend people to try just the top half of your 810 and see how that compares to what pleases you. having a built in 'stand' is quite nice.

and having such a big box vibrate and resonate also contributes to the tone in a wonderful way. it's near impossible to get the same feel from a smaller compact box.

12. This conversation is kind of like saying, "Man no one would want an old B15 anymore, its really low powered and doesnt make sense as a anything more than a practice amp..." Some times its about tone, and some times its about style. Both those things are pretty subjective, but for a lot of people who are just listeners the tone of those ampeg amps is what they expect.

13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I agree. Most 410s can fill a canyon anyway.

14. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    think fridges are dead? try being obsessed with folded horns. . . . :bag:

15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    And keep in mind that the bassist is NOT moving those! I do wish I had a roadie but I don't.

My rig is the Genz Benz Streamliner 900 (6.5 lbs) and the Accugroove Tri-115 (42 lbs). Plenty loud for anything I do and sounds great.

Dan K.

16. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    There is no way this is not because of genre? And even then I'm shocked. I've toured around a lot and played hundreds of shows just in the past 7 years and at least 99% of the shows I've played, at least one bassist in one band on the bill(my band excluded) had an 8x10.

I say "shows I've played" because shows I've attended would be different based on genre. And even then, 8x10's are still very regular and in the majority by far.

If it sounds good, it sounds good. I don't have my beat up old Ampeg because it looks flashy or anything. It was affordable and sounds fantastic. It's loud enough for my loud bands and I have the means to transport it.

17. I have great condition American 810e with a live in roadcase on eBay for the forth time now at $600 no reserve. I tried craigslists and got nothing but the western union scammers replying. I absolutely love my 8x10 but I got married had a kid and traded my truck for a 4door car so i could safely use the child seat. both the guitar players in the band got rid of their 412s and now play 212s. It's been sitting in my garage unused for a while now. Been trying to sell it lately to buy a decent 410 or a couple smaller cabs as the 212 loaner cab ive been using lately absolutely sucks imo. I have 1600 invested in the cab between the cab and the roadcase and can't get 600 for it? While all the ampeg lovers on talkbass brag about the resale value of ampeg. Well I'm not seeing it. I am really bummed that even at 600 with a roadcase no one is interested in buying it. It's an amazing sounding cab but my advice is dont buy one new because you can buy them used for a fraction of the costs

18. I don't know about bass players as a whole, but I particularly hate them. They don't work for me. To the point of me bringing my own cabs to the rehearsal hall when there's a perfectly fine new Ampeg 8x10 right there.

From a back line standpoint, they suck to have to move and store...

19. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    there really isn't much gear worth buying new (Ampeg or other) unless it is some sort of custom order.

The thing with the ampeg 810 is there really aren't any other mass produced sealed big cabs, and therefore it has a very unique and distinct sound. I have tried other cabs but they just don't round out my tone like the sealed 810.

20. I agree I've got my eye on either an ampeg 410(non ported) or swr marcus miller cab for that reason. I absolutely hate ported cabs. All the frequency response ratings on cabs these days are a joke. My ampeg 810 has a much fuller sound than the ported swr 610 it replaced. I actually played a gig down in Atlanta where they made you use their ampeg810 and Marshall 412 cabs but you could use your own amp. I was sold on the non ported sound from the get go. Any super low frequencies coming from a port you hear live anyways from the pa subs bleeding back onto the stage.