Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fried Aguilar OBP-1!!!????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Jul 25, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok,
    So I'm not in the best of moods right now. I have installed my used Aguilar obp-1 module three times in my warwick. The first time I used the existing pots, (all 100K linear center detent left over from the basslines preamp) and the preamp worked (not great - but at least I got sound). Then I used the proper 25K audio pots for the treble and bass and I installed two 250K pots with dpdt switches on them. After I wired up everything (Preamp with a series/parallel switch and a preamp defeat switch and a passive tone control), no sound - just hiss. So then i was thinking Murphy's Law and backtracked the entire circuit using the supplied aguilar and seymour duncan (for the pickup) wiring diagrams. Apparently all of my solder joints are solid and the circuit is correct, batteries are new - all should be working fine. It's it possible that working without a heat sink for certain parts has damaged the preamp (I did not have a moment where I thought I compromised the module at all, but you never know right?). This happened to me once with a Bartolini guitar boost preamp. worked great then I reinstalled some other components - then it crapped out! I think i'm going crazy here. Help Help Help! :help:

I might totally loose my faith in active electronics altogether.

~Michael

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Now that I think about it - I grounded the new pots on the rear casing. I may have damaged them. Fricken $6 a pot - Rudy's repair shop can eat me. Well I guess in NYC you got to make your money somehow right?
    Hey can anyone reccommend a pair of 25Kohm mini or mid sized 25K pots that you know are built like tanks. i was think CTS but I thought Rudy's sold quality stuff. Can pots come DOA from the manufacturer?

~MICHAEL