Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FRIED BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Megavega4, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Megavega4

Megavega4

Aug 3, 2005
    I just purchased a 5 string bass from a new Luthier in Brooklyn, NY named Gary Fried. I must say that this bass is one the best basses I have ever played. The bass is reminicent of a Fender Jazz, but with a playability and tone not found in production bass.

It's light, so for those of you who play long sets, your back will thank you. The Aguilar electronics are simple and straightforward. Gary decided to make the bass and treble controls BOOST only, and also added a passive tone control. The ash body produces a sweet midrange, thereby eliminating the need for a midrange control.

I play in a variety of situations, and this bass suited my needs in all of them. I played at the famed Blue Note in NYC last month, and in one song I needed to go from a thumpy, muted bottom heavy tone to a sharp, crisp slap tone. This bass made the tonal transition smoothly. I also used it on a recording session, and besides having a tone that just sat in the track, it was SUPER quiet.

The neck is comfortable and the string spacing is a standard 3/4 of an inch. The frets are even and there was not a buzz to be found all the way up to the 22nd fret.

I HIGHLY reccomend all of you to go to Friedbasses.com and check out what Gary has to offer. He is DEFINITELY on his way to becoming a serious contender in the industry.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any pics of yours? I checked out his site and i like his options and prices. Not too shabby.

3. Megavega4

Megavega4

Aug 3, 2005
    I will be taking pics of it this week, so check the post out on Wednesday.

4. to tell you the truth i don't think they look all that good.

lowsound

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They? How many have you seen, such that you are making that generalization?

6. ok the one that he has a picture of on his site. i didn't think that it looked like it was worth the $1600

lowsound

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree that particular one isnt amazing, but im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think its largely the wood optoins that make that one not-that attractive.

8. maybe, but i think that its just very plain looking.

lowsound

9. Megavega4

Megavega4

Aug 3, 2005
    I think that anyone who critiques a bass based on looks is missing the point entirely. The bass that I have is a BEAUTIFUL transparent blue, and the grain is very visable thru the finish. But the most important things are the tone and the feel, which blow away a lot of basses that cost more. Not to sling mud, but if we talk about looks, are Sadowskys REALLY worth $3000 plus? Think about it....

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I saw the title I thought it was about "fried" basses, as in cooked, as in electronics burned out.

Okay, back to your topic.

Peace,

James

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ominious name huh? :p

12. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What's the website? Google keeps giving me recipes.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Oh, you're telling me that Gary's fried bass doesn't look delicious?

God bless Epicurious.com.

14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Eh, I prefer grilled. Less fattening...

15. I think if you're going to spend that much, and it is a custom, you should get something that you like the look of AND sound of. Its a complete package.

16. oh, look. more expensive fender clones. how novel.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im guessing you've never played a Sadowsky, Lull , or USA Lakland?

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup.

Edit: Oh, nevermind.

19. Color me presumptuous, but I think I just got spammed.;)
    C7

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    +1

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. First post, glowing report of a new company, etc.