1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fried combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmusic808, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi, So I made a dumb mistake and plugged my 15w 8ohm practice combo amp (using the speaker output) into my 400w 4ohm cab. It had been a while since messing with my gear and I forgot how the ohm stuff works and now see that it was a bad idea. :bawl: So, now the combo doesn't work but I wonder if I had damaged the cab or even the speaker cable I had used to connect them? I know 15w isn't that much.. but, anyone know?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I doubt you damaged the cable but theres a chance you damaged the speakers. speakers dont like to be driven so hard when the amp clips. I pretty sure 15 watts couldnt do this but you never know.

3. OK. I don't have another amp around to test out that 4ohm cab, but I guess an amp rated for only 8ohm doesn't play nice with 4ohms cabs.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Check the specs of the combo amp. If it is an 8 ohm amp and has an extension speaker output, it is very likely rated for a minimum of 4 ohms. You ran it at 2.67 Ohms for a bit.

Cab should be fine.

Cable should be fine.

Check fuses and such on combo.

Check cab with another head.
    Check cable elsewhere.

Call Amp tech and get a repair. Or go buy a new one, a 15w combo doesn't sound like it would be very expensive to replace.

Don't repeat same mistake.

5. Thanks for the info. It actually said right under the speaker out jack "15w 8ohms". Actually, I just found an old post someone asked about the exact same combo, Squire BP-15.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/connecting-cab-my-combo-54582/

Ya, I'll be more careful next time. Thanks for the replies. I knew I should have checked these forums before plugging in stuff!

6. The 4 Ohm cab speakers are OK. Clipping does not damage woofers!! (I think that's been said on here 200 times).