Fried Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baba, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Heyo amp heads. My Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 fried in the middle of the gig last weekend. Fortunately I was running sound so mid song I stuffed my bass lead into a spare channel, cranked it in my monitor, and boosted it a bit in FOH. Disaster narrowly averted.

Anyhow, looking at the board, I found the failure point and it appears right in front or behind a fuse. Any idea what went down here? I am guessing this totals a class D amp...at least that's how I justified buying a new Magellan 800. I'd like to fix this one though if possible and not cost prohibitive. shuttle amp fry.jpg

imabuddha likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    There's a factory flat rate repair program for your amp, so no problem getting it fixed. Often I am able to repair the SMPS/class D modules here (we have some special test fixtures) at my R&D lab under the $85 flat rate charge, but even if it needs a new module, it's less than $200 for the part. We also go through the entire amp and fix anything that needs attention. You can PM me for the details.

This is a program that's available for most legacy Genz Benz models, virtually all of the parts are in stock too. We know what it feels like to experience a failure, and want to treat you as we would like to be treated in the same situation.

ultra60, Bent77, Qlanq and 19 others like this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    And this was why Genz Benz rocked, and continues to rock after it's demise.
    And why Andy rocks. Really. Actually just one of many reasons.

4. Great news! You were very helpful in the past and glad nothing has changed on that front. I would be remiss to not mention this amp has seen literally hundreds of gigs and survived salt, sand, heat, cold, low voltage, and everything I threw at it. I have been happy enough with it to continue the lineage with the Magellan 800.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Another great choice from "the family" ;)

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    looks like a failed switch mode power supply.

they can be repaired.
    some failures will melt or carbon track the board.

ive seen some amazing rescues with burned boards.
    but it is a super hero task.

most would replace the board if to much board damage happens.

How old is your amp?

7. You're so f~n awesome! If only more companies/engineers would care for their customers as you do the world would be a better place. (and less good old gear would end up in landfills)

Zbysek, BassmanPaul, Bent77 and 3 others like this.