Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fried guitar amp!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squire_pwr, May 19, 2003.

1. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Hello all!!

My buddy (he plays g*****r) recently got (for free) a little Marshall 30w combo that has been fried. Apparently the guy that had it before wanted a little more power, so he took another a line out from another amp and stuck it into this Marshall combo and successfully fried it. I'm actually sort of glad I've found out about this, since this idea has occurred to me once... or twice....it wasn't a serious idea tho... really!! :ninja: but then, I got G.A.S. which got rid of that idea :p

Yeah, so according to my friend (I haven't seen the amp yet), the amp still turns on, but has this horrid sound and doesn't work at all other than that sound. He said that he's checked out the insides and from a visual inspection, all the resistors are burned out (prob more too, but that's all he described to me).

So, we're wondering if we can just replace all the resistors and capacitors (if they're burned out too) and have a working amp. And, if that is possible, can we mess around with the resistance and capacitance of the stuff we put into it, and get a wattage increase (just for fun).

Anyway, I realize this is somewhat vague, but any help would be awesome. Feel free to ask questions about the amp and I'll ask my buddy to take a closer look at some component of it or what. Thanks!!!

2. Most likely the resistors aren't the only problem. You would need to replace opamps too, and maybe the main power transistors. I've fixed a few bass heads, it has run me $50 - $125 just for parts.

At any rate, just playing with the values of R and C will only get you into trouble. Trying to coax more watts will only burn up more components. I don't know what the replacement cost would be for a new (or used) amp just like it, but it's not going to be cheap to have somebody fix it. Your friend can make the call as to what's better, fix or buy new.

In the mean time, I guessed he learned a valuable lesson. Plugging amp outputs into amp inputs is a no-no.