Fried my Strymon?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Nov 28, 2015.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    So like a bonehead.... I mistakenly plugged my Line 6 DL4 power adaptor into my Strymon Blue Sky. I only noticed when some smoke was coming out of the Blue Sky, smelling like plastic death, that something was wrong. I quickly unplugged it, but am afraid the damage is done..

So, roughly speaking, how screwed am I? Simple part replacement? Expensive in house repair? I have a new shiny doorstopper?

thanks in advance :rollno:

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Impossible to tell.

Send it off to Strymon and see what they say.

3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Yikes, sorry.

Just curious what the DL4 and Strymon power requirements are. Is the difference in voltage, polarity, or both?

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I believe the dl4 is 9v ac and the blue sky takes 9v dc

5. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Oh yikes, AC vs. DC...

I don't have the knowledge to know what might have been fried or how fixable it is (including cost), but yeah, something got fried.

6. No idea on cost but Strymon is really your only hope of getting it fixed. Presumably only the power section would be toast so it may not be too bad.

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Cool thanks everyone. It seems clear it's a job for the manufacturer as opposed to a local repair person. I'll bite the bullet and send it off, and keep my fingers crossed

8. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    Worst it can be is a $75 repair, that's how much the folks at Strymon charge for a flat repair cost.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021