Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fried one channel of my stewart 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 2, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    At tonight's gig i was using my stewart 2.1, both channels driven as usual. At about 12:30 i was messing with the preamp and hit a low E with a ton of bass boost. There is a compressor in between the preamp and the stewart and it squashed the signal pretty hard but one channel shut down. (both channels were at about 10 o clock input gain on the stewart, one was driving 4 ohms, the other one which shut down was driving 8 ohms) I checked the back and the individual fuses hadnt blown. The channel never came back on after that.
    Fortunately the 2 channels of the stewart are completely seperate so i was able to keep on playing. I was also able to combine the cabinets for a 2.7 ohm load for the rest of the night with no problems.

Anyone else have this happen? and what do ya think got fried? I'll find out for myself soon, but i figure someone might know.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That sucks!!! Are you sure it's the power amp? Could it be a cable (input or speaker) or a connector (input of speaker), etc.?

I don't know if there are any internal fuses in the amp or not.

I hope it's an easy/cheap/quick fix!!!

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh its the amp allright, each channel of the 2.1 has a seperate power switch and a seperate "on light".

4. I have a 2.1 with one dead channel, waiting to go out for repair. I've used it a few times with the one good channel while it's been sitting.

Mine was intermittent (came back when I pounded on it) for about an hour (I was practicing at home) before going for good. I opened it up and wiggled connections and looked for fried components but there was nothing I could do.

Aloha,

Jonathan

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks a ton josh - ill look him up
    i tell ya what, the darned thing was still rocking with one channel
    i was using a bag end 210 (4 ohm) and a 1x15 (8 ohm). The 15 must have a greater sensitivity in the mids than the 210 cause i could still hear it well (it was on top too as the 210 is deeper - looks a lil silly but sounds killer)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'll stop complaining about my #1 band being too loud... your band is probably a lot louder! :eek: :D

But anyway: I'm very sorry about that, IvanMike. But it is comforting to know that the dual-mono feature of the Stewart *will* come through in the clinch! I can't think of a gig I have where I couldn't get by with just one channel of my 2.1.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol- i get to compete with a 100 watt bogner head, unless he's using the 100 watt blockhead head - both hit 4x12s
    but, he insists on miking them "because you can't hear the guitar as well off axis" :rolleyes:

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here ya go............ :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]