Fried one channel of my stewart 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 2, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    At tonight's gig i was using my stewart 2.1, both channels driven as usual. At about 12:30 i was messing with the preamp and hit a low E with a ton of bass boost. There is a compressor in between the preamp and the stewart and it squashed the signal pretty hard but one channel shut down. (both channels were at about 10 o clock input gain on the stewart, one was driving 4 ohms, the other one which shut down was driving 8 ohms) I checked the back and the individual fuses hadnt blown. The channel never came back on after that.
    Fortunately the 2 channels of the stewart are completely seperate so i was able to keep on playing. I was also able to combine the cabinets for a 2.7 ohm load for the rest of the night with no problems.

Anyone else have this happen? and what do ya think got fried? I'll find out for myself soon, but i figure someone might know.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That sucks!!! Are you sure it's the power amp? Could it be a cable (input or speaker) or a connector (input of speaker), etc.?

I don't know if there are any internal fuses in the amp or not.

I hope it's an easy/cheap/quick fix!!!

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh its the amp allright, each channel of the 2.1 has a seperate power switch and a seperate "on light".

4. I have a 2.1 with one dead channel, waiting to go out for repair. I've used it a few times with the one good channel while it's been sitting.

Mine was intermittent (came back when I pounded on it) for about an hour (I was practicing at home) before going for good. I opened it up and wiggled connections and looked for fried components but there was nothing I could do.

Aloha,

Jonathan

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks a ton josh - ill look him up
    i tell ya what, the darned thing was still rocking with one channel
    i was using a bag end 210 (4 ohm) and a 1x15 (8 ohm). The 15 must have a greater sensitivity in the mids than the 210 cause i could still hear it well (it was on top too as the 210 is deeper - looks a lil silly but sounds killer)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'll stop complaining about my #1 band being too loud... your band is probably a lot louder! :eek: :D

But anyway: I'm very sorry about that, IvanMike. But it is comforting to know that the dual-mono feature of the Stewart *will* come through in the clinch! I can't think of a gig I have where I couldn't get by with just one channel of my 2.1.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol- i get to compete with a 100 watt bogner head, unless he's using the 100 watt blockhead head - both hit 4x12s
    but, he insists on miking them "because you can't hear the guitar as well off axis" :rolleyes:

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here ya go............ :rolleyes:
    IM002014.