Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fried Rice and other Recipes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick man, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im a huge fan of fried rice and would love to learn how to make it so I wouldnt have to order takeout everytime I had a craving for the stuff.

Rather than do a search online I figured Id ask you guys if you know of any specific recipes I should try. I have very limited cooking experience but I have a good sense of taste so I can usually get things right after a few tries if it doesnt come out perfect the first couple.

So lets hear your fried rice recipes!

If you have other recipes you'd like to share feel free!

Im a big fan of asian and latin foods specifically so anything from sushi rolls to platanos maduros will get you extra points.

Peace
    Nick

2. http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

All the recipes on this site work the first time as long as you follow the directions.

Fried Rice with Shrimp, Pork, and Shiitake Mushrooms
    Makes about 8 cups, serving 4 to 6

1/4 cup oyster sauce
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    3 1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
    2 large eggs, beaten lightly
    8 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 cup frozen peas, preferably baby peas, thawed
    1/2 ounce (5 to 6 medium) dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 cup hot water until softened, about 15 minutes, then drained, trimmed of stems, and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
    2 Chinese sausages (lop cheong) (about 4 ounces), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 -inch pieces, or 8 ounces sliced smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
    4 ounces Chinese roast pork, cut into 1/2 -inch chunks
    2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
    5 cups cold cooked white rice, large clumps broken up with fingers
    5 medium scallions, sliced thin (about 1/2 cup)

1. Combine oyster sauce and soy sauce in small bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add eggs and cook without stirring, until they just begin to set, about 20 seconds, then scramble and break into small pieces with wooden spoon; continue to cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are cooked through but not browned, about 1 minute longer. Transfer eggs to small bowl and set aside.

3. Return skillet to medium heat and heat until hot, about 1 minute; add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, until opaque and just cooked through, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with eggs and set aside.

4. Return skillet to burner, increase heat to high and heat skillet until hot, about 2 minutes; add remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add peas, mushrooms, sausage or ham, and pork; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add rice and oyster sauce mixture; cook, stirring constantly and breaking up rice clumps, until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, shrimp, and scallions; cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Great recipe, i tired it for my lunch today, I reccomend it, Nic.

Also I just couldnt bring myself to ask where that kind of mushrooms were in the store. Its just too much of an amusing name.

I need to grow up :scowl:

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks guys. Im going to try that this next week when Im in Miami.

5. ingredients:
    day old rice
    leftovers (meat, vegetables, etc)
    eggs (as many as you want)
    oil
    soy sauce
    green onions (sliced)

directions:
    heat the oil in a large pan or wok
    toss in green onions and beaten eggs
    when the eggs are maybe 75% done, toss in the rice and leftovers
    fold everything in together
    add soy sauce to taste while it's still heating

well, that's how I make it.

6. As a general rule of thumb, the fresher the rice, the significantly more wet your fried rice will be. But there's no effect on the flavor, so if you have no old rice in the fridge, go ahead and steam some new rice.

OK. Now that I've taken care of that...

What kind of meat do you like?
    Chop it up & throw it in.
    What kind of veggies do you like?
    Chop it up & throw it in.
    Like garlic?
    Chop it up & throw it in. Heck, chop it up and throw it in even if you don't like it. :p

If you're making it from scratch rather than from leftovers, then here's what I like to do.

First off, chop up the meat until it's nice and tiny. You know, the way it usually is in fried rice. Then chop up your veggies (I tend to put carrots, Chinese cabbage, or even chopped spinach etc.), as well as anything else you want to put in it. Mushrooms (of any type, really), green onions, garlic (highly recommended), ginger, etc. and set it all aside.

Next, throw the pieces of meat (still raw here) in a little container that can fit maybe 1.2 times as much meat, and then pour soy sauce (I personally like Amoy, with 50% light and 50% dark, but that may not be available to you, just use whatever brand you like the taste of) over it until there's a little puddle of it at the bottom of the container. Throw in a little bit of sugar, corn starch, and chicken powder (salt works too, it's just less tasty. :p), mix it up, and fire up the pan/wok.

Now, pour some oil into the pan/wok, but not too much. Let it heat up a bit, then throw in the garlic & ginger. Let that heat up and begin to go brown, then throw in the meat. And I mean "throw." Take the container and dump that tasty food in the pan/wok and stir fry like your life depends upon it. When the meat's about 70 - 80% done, toss in the veggies and stir fry some more. Almost immediately after, throw on your rice. Cooked rice. Old or fresh, it doesn't matter. Stir fry some more. You know what? At this point it's significantly better if you have a proper wok. As in one that's not coated in teflon. Makes it all taste better.
    Anyway, mix it up real good, and by the time you're done mixing, everything should be cooked and tasty.

Oh right. I forgot to mention proportions. I like my fried rice with a 2:1 ratio of rice:meat, and then another 2:1 ratio of meat:veggies, but that's just the way I like it. Experiment with it a little, it's hard to go wrong with this. ;)

[EDIT]
    Oh yeah, I forgot a couple other things.

Firstly, none of this "medium" heat bollocks, true Chinese food is cooked at nothing but "high," they might as well not make adjustable heat stoves, just a simple "on" switch. :p

Also, when you bathe the meat in soy sauce first, it tastes at least 150% better. Then when you throw in the rice, the extra flavor of the meat/soy sauce hybrid sauce in the bottom of the wok saturates the rice, and you have a significantly tastier meal. :p

Finally, NOT non-stick > non-stick for this. Trust me. When a little bit of rice hardens and cakes on the wok...oh man, that stuff's the best!

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For moist sticky rice, fresh rice is a must?

I figured that was the case, but Ive never done fried rice so I want to be sure. I love sticky rice. :p

8. Eh...depending on how much water you steam your rice with, you'll either get sticky rice, or sloppy rice.
    Although, the amount of soy sauce you put in the meat will also be a factor.