Fried speaker and sketchy cab... need some advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trjh2k2, Aug 20, 2017.

1. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    So I did a dumb. I bought a used cab without looking super closely at it. It sounded good at low-ish volume when I tried it but as soon as I got it up to jam volume with the band I noticed a crackling sound. The cab is a GK 410Neo/4Ohm. Super bright sounding. Louder than I expected. But the bottom right speaker crackles while playing. The crackling goes away if you lightly touch the speaker. Sounds like I need a new speaker, or to get this one repaired.

But it gets sketchier. I didn't notice at first, but one of the speakers is a different colour than the others. The bottom right is a weird blue colour. I took the speaker out and it's labelled "TC410NEO"... which makes me think Traynor. Sure enough, the Traynor neo 410 cab has those same blue speakers in it. Of course, that's an 8 ohm cab so it seems unlikely it's a proper match for what's supposed to be in here.

I went to the GK website to try to find replacement speakers and was able to find what looks like the right replacement, but they show as out of stock. I emailed but it's the weekend, so gonna have to wait. In the meantime, I'm curious what else I could get away with. I suspect that I can't quite just throw any other two 10"/16ohm speakers in here without throwing something off? I mean, the Traynor speaker being in there didn't sound bad, but I imagine something about it being there contributed to the other failed speaker maybe? There's only a couple of options, and they're rated at a slightly lower power than the original ones.

Is it a terrible idea to use speakers that aren't meant for the cab? Is it a terrible idea to mix the two good speakers with two of a different brand but the same impedance? There's a shop nearby that can get some Basslite SC10-16 speakers, which seem promising if I can't get the original GK speakers.

I welcome any and all advice and info.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

With drivers sharing the same airspace the units should all be identical for best results. In my mind changing out one of four drivers is better than two or more.

agedhorse likes this.
  3. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    I ended up speaking with someone at Eminence, and they said the speakers for this cab are a "knock off" of the Deltalite II 2510. If I were to get the 2510-4ohm, and rewire everything, it could work, but that's getting super pricey compared to how I value the cab. ($135/speaker + shipping + converting to CAD) There's a shop not far away that has some SC10-16 that I can get for much cheaper, and much faster, but I suspect they're not ideal, and I'd be reducing the cabs power handling by quite a bit.

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm just laughing a bit at your last post... from looking at the physical similarities between the GK Neo speakers and Eminence Deltalites, I've always assumed they shared some DNA - though I had always assumed with Eminence's blessing (very few manufacturers make their own speakers soup-to-nuts and will instead rely on some of the bigger speaker manufacturers for assistance).

Did Eminence really use the term "knock off" as you have quoted, or did they say that they were a variation? The difference in terms would be very telling, and something I'd find fascinating.

5. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    That's the wording they used, not mine.

I emailed for suggestions, and they asked for more info about the original speakers, so I sent the part number, and a link to the GK website. The answer I got back was- "That is basically a knock-off of our Deltalite II 2510, made in China."

okcrum, agedhorse and kap'n kro like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I bought a used GK Neo 12 (like from a Neo212 cab) and an Eminence Deltalite 212, they look and sound nearly identical. However I was quite shocked to find that the basket on the Eminence was bigger, it's to big for the cutout for the GK speaker.

kap'n kro likes this.
  7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

GK makes their own speakers in the US. I also assumed that they were quasi-Eminence speakers but I guess not. Sounds like there is some butthurt there from Eminence.

Here is Bob Gallien...making a speaker....in the USA.

Bob-glue-testing25-1024x742.jpg

8. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    ^ Those look awfully similar to what's in my cab.

By which I mean, I assume that IS what's in my cab.

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just to make sure we're barking up the right tree, did the part number on the speaker you took out that you assume is the GK match the one that GK had on their site? 082-0460-B if I'm not mistaken. I just want to make certain that the speaker in question is 100% authentic GK issue, and not another aftermarket addition (given the other replacement that you already found in there), especially since the terms Eminence, “knock off”, China, and buttheart ;) have already been used in this thread. :D

Anyways, it does appear that the replacement that you'd need is currently listed as out of stock, :( but it might be worth it to give them a call to see if there's anything they can do for you - GK customer service via phone (NOT VIA EMAIL), is some of the best in the business - just keep in mind that they run on Pacific Time.

10. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    The comment I got was in response to the 082-0460-B speaker. Visually I know the one I took out looked like that, and I had assumed it was a real one, I'll have to double check when I get home that the number on it actually matches and that I'm not just making an assumption or remembering incorrectly.

kap'n kro likes this.
  11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Got it, I may have misunderstood - when you said you initially sent them the part number, I thought that you may have given them the part number from your speaker along with the link to the GK store page. If you sent them GK's actual listed part number, and that's the response they gave you, I think it leaves little doubt that - despite there maybe being some he-said/she-said facts that may need to be ironed out, Eminence is definitely talking about what GK is selling.

Sorry OP, I don't think this thread has been so useful for you yet as far as getting you fixed up, but it's been very interesting nonetheless! :)

12. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    ^ No worries. I didn't mean to stir up drama between GK and Eminence, but they weren't my own words, so I don't feel too bad. Eminence guy strongly suggested against the sc10-16 I was originally looking at and offered that I could go with 2510-4 and rewire them, or get the 'custom shop' to make me some 2510 in 16ohm so that I'd be back at the original 4ohm cab I should have started with. Both options are unfortunately pricey. Between shipping and converting to CAD, it'll easily be more than what I spent on the cab to begin with. I haven't been able to reach the previous owner either.

kap'n kro likes this.
  13. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    I emailed GK but got no answer, maybe a phone call is a good idea. 2 new speakers from GK will probably be cheaper than all 4 from Eminence.

14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think I'm still waiting on GK to return a couple emails I sent them two years ago... yet I talked to them directly (specifically Jason with product support and José with tech support) 4 or 5 times within the past two weeks, and they picked up on the first call each time and gave me exactly the information I needed.

I've said it before, but GK customer service by email is as terrible as their customer service by phone is fantastic. Wishing you the best of luck in getting new speakers from GK directly - I agree that that'd probably be the best way to go for any number of reasons.

Good luck with getting a hold of the previous seller as well... sorry again that you got something that was less than you were probably expecting.

15. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Similar story for me when I cooked a 15 in a used rig a few months back. I stuck with the GK driver even though I had to wait a couple weeks while they got some in stock. Cab is happy now. Good luck

16. There's a speaker supplier I've used in the past that I ordered replacement Eminence speakers for an Ampeg cab I had. They're located in Waterloo, Ontario. I just quickly looked up the Deltalite speaker in question, and I think their price is $159 CAD with free shipping.

https://qcomponents.ca/Eminence-DELTALITE-2510-4.html

17. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    There's also nextgenguitars nearby (in Kanata) that I like to order from- they should be able to get any Eminence for roughly the same price as that. I'm going to try to call GK first though, 'cause if I can manage to get just the two speakers, it should be much more affordable that way.

18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
  19. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Full Compass has them in stock. They also usually have 20% coupons, may want to search for one.

Gallien-Krueger 082 0460 B 10 Woofer for Neo 210 and 410 | Full Compass

20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021