Fried two amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Evanmichael556, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Evanmichael556

Evanmichael556

Jul 8, 2017
    Just made a pretty catastrophic (asking to see to what extent) mistake while setting up a two amp rig. Here's what happened:

I've been using an Epifani Performance 400 and Aguilar TH500 with two Aguilar DB112 cabs. While setting the rig up, I got my speakon cables mixed up and accidentally connected the speakon outputs of both amps together (w/ one of the cabs also connected to the TH). As soon as I powered everything on I realized something was very wrong and immediately powered down...but it was too late.

I've tested both amps and they are both broken. The Epifani only gives me a loud hum. The Aguilar actually sounds ok until I play an aggressive note...then it distorts significantly. I can also notice a burning smell, but I can't tell what piece(s) of gear it's coming from.

My question is this: What exactly happened and how screwed is the gear? Is it possible the cab that was connected is damaged also? (I don't have another amp to test it with). I'm pretty much horrified...don't even know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Tested both amps separately with the cab that was involved in the incident?
    Or tested the amps with a different cab?

3. Evanmichael556

Evanmichael556

Jul 8, 2017
    I tested both amps with the 2nd cab that was not involved.

4. Yes. For the price to rebuild the amps you could buy better amps brand new. Your speaker cabs may be salvageable. Maybe not.

spaz21387 likes this.
  5. Contact the manufacturer of each amp to get repair information/quotes.

bdplaid and agedhorse like this.
  6. Evanmichael556

Evanmichael556

Jul 8, 2017
    Can you elaborate a bit? What internally happened to the amps? And how did it effect the cab?

7. Do you know how to fix stuff like this? If not, take them to the amp fix it person.
    They should be able to answer the question about exactly what you did, (exactly what is wrong) and give you an estimate, in cost to repair, of how screwed your amps are.
    Sorry.

8. Here's your answer in your own words. You totally effed up and destroyed your own very expensive amps. I don't think your speaker cabs were involved in the debacle. Only you know for sure. Learn from this and don't do it again.

9. Evanmichael556

Evanmichael556

Jul 8, 2017
    Yea...I managed to figure out on my own that I effed up, but I appreciate the response. I was hoping you could elaborate on what exactly happened to the amps when I made the mistake. I realize the amps are almost certainly goners...just wanted to find out more.

bdplaid, stigbeve and Plutonium244 like this.
  10. Unless someone else has done exactly the same thing, with the same three pieces of equipment, in a country that uses exactly the same kind of outlet power, asking for the specifics that you are asking and expecting someone to give you an answer by remote control is near to impossible.
    You can't diagnose electronic failures of the nature that you've encountered over the Internet.
    We can only make uninformed guesses.
    You need to seek professional help.

11. I believe the TH500 is built using B&O's ICEpower 250ASX module. You may have only blown the IcePower module. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

Not sure what the Epifani P400 uses.

tekhedd and Evanmichael556 like this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is a significant bummer IMO, and in fact the single biggest problem with connectors that do not have a male and female side. This applies to both 1/4" and SpeakOn connections, and the reason why I stayed with the old Amphenol EP series connectors in pro audio for as long as I did. Unfortunately, the standard died a painful death due in part to the sheer cost of the connectors.

So, as far as the damage here's what I think is likely to have happened based on my experience...

1. Your speaker cabinet is likely ok. The fact that you had it connected almost certainly did not factor into the failure.

2. What happened is that 2 very low impedance amps were driven into each other. This alone is a bad thing is that the amps will try to source and sink infinite current (which they obviously can't) and to make it worse the TH-500's power amp is BTL which means that neither speaker terminal is ground referenced so the amp drives both the plus and minus terminal, one of which is a direct short to (shared) ground.

3. The damage to both power amps is likely to be pretty major. This is when I would recommend contacting the manufacturer, explain what happened, and see if their factory service guys can repair your amps rather than struggling with an "average" repair shop.

sstillwell, wmhill, MVE and 31 others like this.
  13. You just can't connect power to power! You must connect power to speakers.

Slough Feg Bass likes this.
  14. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    It is probably not possible to speculate beyond output components being damaged in some way. Time to have them evaluated by a qualified tech, get an estimate and then decide what to do. Definitely don’t use them any more or risk more damage.

As for the other speaker, use a 9 volt battery and a 1/4” to 1/4” cord to test them.

Sorry to hear about this my friend and I hope you can get them fixed. I fried a GK once and lost almost as much as it was worth on it.

Raz

Evanmichael556 likes this.
  15. Evanmichael556

Evanmichael556

Jul 8, 2017
    Thank you very much. I'll be contacting manufacturers tomorrow...just wanted to see if anyone here had insight. I really appreciate the thoughtful response.

16. Evanmichael556

Evanmichael556

Jul 8, 2017
    Yes...I know this. Thanks.

stigbeve, Bassology and Plutonium244 like this.
  17. Good! Then you've learned a very painful and expensive lesson and will never do it again.

18. I think the OP is hoping for someone to tell him/her:
    "It's just a fuse."
    "Replace the fuse and everything will be OK."
    What agedhorse has described is pretty much the electronics big mother of bad.
    I'd love to tell the OP that it will be OK, but decades of working as an electronics tech won't allow me to do that.

19. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    This is why it is a good idea to color code your cables, colored tape is cheap.

20. navijaz

navijaz

Sep 20, 2016
    Sorry to hear about your predicament. That is a high price for pay for a moment of absent-mindedness. Let's hope you were lucky and at least some of the damage can be undone.

Quite surprised about the snarky replies by some here. Pretty repulsive.