1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Friend asked me to play on his CD.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Axtman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. I'm at the age where I only do music that I WANT to do unless it pays well. That's just me. Do it if you want to. If you DON'T, you probably won't do a very good job anyway.

2. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Your challenge, make the bass parts interesting and help move the song along. Use your creativity to help make the songs as good as possible. Also, don't be a jerk and help your friend out.

getbent, JRA, Fialka and 1 other person like this.
  3. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    If you don’t like the music, don’t do it

David Jayne likes this.
  4. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Bass solo!

design likes this.
  5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    "I think each song could be improved with an extended guitar solo."

6. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    You should discuss your ideas with your friend as see what he thinks. I've done this type of thing with friends before, I know the CD won't go anywhere however they are friends and they do respect my input.
    Treat it as part of the learning experience and be a good friend- I'm assuming you're good friends right?

dirtychinchilla likes this.
  7. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Not to say it's going to happen, but the possibility also exists . . . WWYAF . . . "Watch What You Ask For; you may just get it!" You help a little with production, he likes it, and all of a sudden you're roped into being a free, part time producer for the whole thing!

But probably not. I'd do it for the experience if nothing else, learning new stuff, I value that. Might even be something you may want to pursue!

8. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Doesn't sound like you want to, so you should just pass.

Good Luck!

Robert B likes this.
  9. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    CDs are too small to stand on. If he has an LP, you can at least get both feet on it. It looks stiff and boring but better than making a joke of yourself by trying to play balancing on one leg like some pink bird.
    [​IMG]

10. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Mate, you know what you going to do.. So with me just being honest.. stfu and follow your gut.. It's really a no win situation.. I'd get drunk and sleep on it.. Is it really a big deal.. Maybe if you all go low tech.. Get a little tipsy.. Your less than perfect playing.. Will solve that bland Problem.. I'd use an analog recorder instead of all digital.. Digital is too clean.. Great recording sessions come from having things rehearsed.. Then saying screw it and having fun.. Seriously you go nothing to lose..

11. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Ummm... okay

All your posts here have a pretty clear subtext.

'I really don't want to do this. Can you tell me not to'?

12. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    If all my friends declined to partake in my boring weekend projects (musical or otherwise), I'd be alone and miserable. Unless your schedule says otherwise, I don't see why all things need to be either "interesting" or else not worth doing.

I'll see myself out now :D

Socobass likes this.
  13. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    I would be honored that someone appreciates my bass skills and saw it as an opportunity at stretching my bassline-craft. So do it if you have time for it.
    I was recently askes by a good friend of mine about something similar, but hes really good at songwriting and guitar playing, and relatively good at singing. I said yes obviously.

dirtychinchilla likes this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Friend asked me to play on his CD.
    I think that if you play well, doing it can only help you.

Socobass likes this.
  15. If you decide to help him out, recommend this is the first thing he changes. It's probably half the reason his songs all use the same strum pattern and sound the same. FInd a drummer and get some different rhythms going on.

getbent, Admiral Akbar and OogieWaWa like this.
  16. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Been there, too. There are two ways to handle this. 1.) Swallow your pride, play whatever part there is for the songs and remain friends. 2.) Ask him to explain to you what each song is about and what it means, why it was written, what feeling the bass is supposed to evoke, etc. By getting to open up, you may find something inspiring in the music that will allow you to gently steer it in a certain direction. That's one way of producing without interference. Or the third choice (which was going to be left out, hence the "two ways to handle this" line) go in all bossy, play like an animal all over the place and tell him that's what guitarists do all the time. Now it won't bother you as much because you're no longer friends. Seriously, if you play other instruments, suggest where they may put to use to enhance the songs. If you're there anyway it may be beneficial to both of you: him for the project, and you for the experience of being a sort of arranger/producer/musical director.

17. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Do it...but insist that your parts be credited to a stage name or alias like "Thumper McFunk."

Socobass likes this.
  18. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    How good of a "friend" is he. Do you hang out with him or is he more of a Musical Accuantance?
    I see nothing wrong offering suggestions to his songs to Guage his reaction. But ask yourself, "How much of my time will be invested in this Favor". Other than offering up some of your time, is there a downside for you?
    If it's worth it to you to help a friend, then stop debating it and Get it Done.

19. If your time isn't an issue, play on it. Get jiggy, funk it up, make it interesting in G major or minor or whatever key he re-uses. I have a friend who does the same sort of thing and he asks me to play on his recordings.

20. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Sounds like you and I share the personality trait of idealism. We have a vision of how something should be -- could be a song, could be the way the boss runs a business -- and if the reality comes up short or doesn't match up with our vision, we get frustrated, bored, and sometimes downright angry.

However, the key factor here is that this singer-songwriter is a friend rather than just a casual acquaintance or just a guy you've run into on the local music scene. In that situation, I would defer to his vision (he might think that what he's doing is indeed "ideal"), do the recording, and forget about it. If he wants your advice, he'll probably ask for it. Good luck.

JRA likes this.