1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Friend asked me to play on his CD.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Axtman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My only consideration would be the amount of time it would take. If these guys just hit record and do the dang thing, I'm in. I'll help a pal. If they want to hang out for hours on end getting the second line of the first verse perfect, no thanks.

My most valuable asset these days is time. I'll give you some of it, but certainly not all of it.

Knavery, waveman and Koshchei like this.
  2. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    If you're not being paid, you can certainly ask him if you can make some suggestions to tighten up his writing. Be prepared for a "no" though.

3. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    ahem.... I belive that's MY line!

4. See to me that would challenge me as a bass player to take a bla song and make it move give it a groove to
    make it fun. If someone gives you the ball run with it Run Forest Run! :)

5. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If it was me, I would probably do him a solid and play on the CD. If I had ideas, I would suggest them in a friendly way, but also let them go quickly and without butthurt if he decided not to use them. It’s his vision after all.

Otoh, if it was pretty much guaranteed to be a tedious, annoying process that would make me aggravated and salty to the point where it might stress our friendship, I would find an excuse to not do it.

6. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I had a friend ask me to help him move once. It wasn't fun... but he was a friend.

7. If you have the time you might as well. Any time spent recording is a good learning experience. If you like the way it turns out you can use it as a reference to show bands you’re looking to play with in the future. For example even if they don’t want you to post the music publicly on YouTube you can post it as a semi private video so people can only see it if you provide them the link to the video but they won’t be able to find it with the search engine

8. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I think the OP has won already by realizing that the songs are lacking. No matter what the decision, expectations are low. I'm sure everybody here has had somebody hand them a vanity cd with generic songs and completely unrealistic expectations.

dkelley likes this.
  9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    A friend helps you move. A really good friend helps you move a body. Or play bass on your CD.

design and TheReceder like this.
  10. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I'm in a bit of the same situation. My buddys songs are ok but his chord imagination is limited. I said yes maybe every third time he asked me for help, and he asks me less often now.
    Maybe suggest your friend get to a studio and hire a good drummer. My buddy uses a local guy who is a studio owners nephew. He did a great shuffle track to the song in under half an hour! That's from the first time he heard the song to a finished drum track.
    Alternately, adding live percussion like a simple egg shaker or tambourine can really liven up a stale drum machine part.

getbent likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

- if this is about helping a friend: who wouldn't do that?
    - if this is about playing stuff you don't really like: who hasn't done that?
    - if this is about you wanting to control the outcome: :laugh:
    - if this is about you wanting to become a producer: do the session = but only take notes, nothing else!
    - if this is about you: your friend could do better. ;)

i say do the damn thing and then post some sound clips: let us be the judge. :D good luck with your decision(s)! :thumbsup:

TheReceder and Cousin Iggy like this.
  12. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    If he was a friend I would try to help.

bolophonic likes this.
  13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    After he records a CD filled with bland songs that sound the same, what is the next step? Probably, nothing to write home about. I’d not do it.

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I just set a date to record with three friends of mine who have agreed to help me flesh out some original material. I have worked with all of them on their own projects and I am beyond thrilled that they see enough potential in my work to lend their creativity.

I would encourage the OP to see it through and to try to look at the bright side, even if the material isn’t super groundbreaking. Your input on the production end could be the catalyst to turning this into a better result.

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I had this happen ten years ago. I hadn't picked up a bass in maybe 8 years since moving out here. A friend who played guitar needed tracks done to finish his album. We got together twice to go over the tunes and then did the sessions. I was hanging on by my fingertips because these guys were real players. Punch-ins saved me in a few spots. It was a good refresh to see a modern studio, since I hadn't been in one since the tape days. There was one point during mixdowns where I complimented the engineer (who'd played the other bass parts on the album) on his playing. He started laughing, turned around and said "Dude, that's YOU!" :roflmao: At the end, the producer said "You need to start playing again every day". I took it as a compliment and did. :thumbsup:

Here was the result:

[​IMG]

Mingus Winds (track)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JRA likes this.
  16. As a favor I have helped friends move. Recording sounds a tad more rewarding or at least less back breaking.

JRA, Cousin Iggy and Standalone like this.
  17. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    This is what I was thinking as well. I'd have no problem helping a friend even if I disliked the songs or found them bland. But how long will the recording process take? If it's reasonable, I'd definitely do it. You might be adding more to the songs than you realize.

18. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Grow the art. Help him out if you have the time -- it's your friend, right?

If there are major downsides to it -- time, reputation damage, etc. -- then find a gracious way to say no thanks. But we should all have time for our friends within reason.

19. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Money talks.

20. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    play on it, it's just another opportunity to record, get the experience and play with some different tones you may like, plus if he is your friend, he should be ok if you give a few arrangement pointers. Just let him know you are there to help any way you can...and HAVE fun...