Friend Blew My Cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goodacheese, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodacheese

Goodacheese

Dec 13, 2011
    So my band jams at my drummers house. I have 2 Ampeg 4x8 HE and a gk 700rbii head. I told my buddies who live in the house not to play it when I was not around.

Turns out that they had been jamming on my set up a lot with one of their friends. I came to practice one day and they broke the news that the rig wasn't working. Went through lots of trouble to find out that they blew all eight of my speakers which now need to be replaced.

I have two questions:
    1) is my set up mismatched? Did the speakers blow out because of two powerful an amp or the player? My friend literally punches his bass and I don't know how loud he was playing when it happened.

2) I also am looking for suggestions to help me figure out how to get these guys not to flake on paying for this. They seem like they are really not wanting to contribute.

Thanks

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Sounds like user error/abuse. Not sure how to get them to pay except maybe hold his drums hostage?

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    The speakers blew because they were abused by the player. It's really that simple.

As for them not paying up: I suggest taking the snare and some cymbals as hostage.

4. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Blew all 8? As in actually ripped speakers/melted coils? Seems... well, worst case scenario. How did you test the speakers and determine they need to be replaced?

As far as goons playing/wrecking your amp, that's how it goes. File a police report to get the incident on the record, and if they don't pay up take them to small claims court.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Some friend....:scowl:

As far as mismatched....all kinds of amps can blow all kinds of speakers if used irresponsibly. They broke your stuff, they need to replace it. If they refuse, there's small claims court.....or various other more nefarious means.:bag:

6. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah....that's pretty much it...it's a dick move, but taking collateral until they pay up is your only option other than the law....and if they already sound flakey, sneaking it from them might be your only option.....

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    compensation?
    hold his drums hostage.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Of course they don't want to pay. They also were lying to you about not using your gear while abusing it without caring too.

What a surprise. What can you do? Not much. Don't let them ever use your stuff again, don't leave it there.

(and break a bunch of their stuff when they're not looking)

9. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Suggestions!

"Thanks for buying me a new cab. I was looking forward to that new Aguilar!" (note, I intentionally looked up the most expensive cabinet I could find. This one is almost $2000, and frankly after that nonsense you deserve the best).

After they answer no:

"Hey, I'm taking all my **** and not coming back. Have a nice life!"

Of course, you also could give them the "you buy me new speaker cabinets and I won't rearrange your car's windshield with my crowbar."

I would be PISSED if I were you. I'm trying to be light-hearted about this, but this is the kind of thing ******** do. I get my stuff as far away from ******** like this as I can.

Also, your drummer is culpable. You might mention this to him as you're firing him, that he is not entitled to loan your equipment out to people.

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I know the horse has already left the barn but.....

This is why I keep a 4 ohm Benz 410 cab at our practice space but tote my Shuttle back and forth. No head, no fun for would-be hooligans.

I actually got a call from them when they were having an outdoor party that apparently included my cab (it was a jam party) but they had not realized that they had no power for it. "Are you coming to the party? Can you bring your head?" Ha!

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Call their Moms?

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

:D
    I think I love you.

Is school out already? :atoz:

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    With "friends" like that, who needs enemies?

Don't you know you should never trust young kid musicians? :bag:

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yup. :D

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Wow, I would've come down, got my cab, and...

This is not cool on any level, the OP's situation is probably not going to get any better. Hopefully they don't dick you around and they pony up for their damage, but good luck, they sound really classy...

They destroyed your perfect fine cabinet, the least they can do is pay to get every speaker re-coned and pray it works after that. It is ruined by their abuse only. Almost any head can blow almost any cab, it is called bass/low mid heavy EQ and tons of gain...

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Drag.

They blew yer rig cause it wasn't theirs, and they didn't care. Abuse, straight up.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Let's see, felony assault or felony assault with a deadly weapon, OR, call their Moms...I just can't decide...:atoz:

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Any assault is a bad, bad move.
    Calling their Moms might be good.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Are they hot?

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's why I bought a beater cab to leave at the band's rehearsal spot! No way in he** I'm leaving my good gear around for some [email protected]$$es to destroy! Somebody better be paying for the replacement speakers or I'd no longer be friends with them much less play with them anymore. That is disrespectful & selfish of them to not offer to replace!

I'm pretty selfish these days due to an incident when I was a teenager. Had a guitar playing 'friend' ask to borrow my vintage Traynor 2x15 cab and I never saw the cab again! So no, I keep everything I own in my sight!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.