1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Friend Considering Selling His Bass Collection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 57pbass, Feb 21, 2016.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Hello All,

Mods please relocate this if it's in the wrong place.

I have an old bass playing friend who is very seriously talking about selling his basses as a collection. Vintage J and P Basses..maybe 30+ instruments. (A few holy grail J Basses )
    He also mentioned a bunch of vintage amps as well..SVT, B-15/12

Just throwing this out there and looking for feedback...

Thank you

2. Orange Caesar

Orange Caesar Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2014
    NorCal
    wow... could only imagine what's in that honey hole and... how much...

3. bungletrpg

bungletrpg

Aug 8, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    Tell your friend to post it here! :thumbsup:

4. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I'm sure there are at least a handful of people on TB with deep enough pockets to buy up an entire collection, but the "Devil is in the Details" (as they say).

In order to get any kind of serious feedback for such an offer, I would suspect that at minimum, a complete list (Maker, Model, Year, Condition) of every bass (and amps), would need to be posted. In addition, I would think that a ballpark figure for the price desired for such a collection would be expected. It's probably reasonable to assume that someone buying such a volume of basses at one time would also expect a healthy discount from their individual market value.

Unless the seller has a critical need to move them quickly, I would have to assume that he could get better prices by selling them one (or a couple) at a time.

Those are my thoughts. I could be wrong. YMMV. ETC.

MarkoYYZ and bungletrpg like this.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Please remember that your friend would need to sell/ask for appraisals for them here himself with a supporting membership, if that's what he's interested in. I can only add that collections very rarely sell here; he'd be far better off splitting them up.

bholder likes this.