Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Friend of mine sucked into Quixtar/Amway

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 11, 2002.

1. A friend of mine is trying to sell me on Quixtar (http://www.quixtar.com). She keeps talking about how it's letting her "take control of her future," and how the company is "Microsoft's
    biggest web design client" (BS sensors triggered), and how profits have increased an average of 60% YOY over the past several years. (Web-based? Profits? We're at BS Defcon 2 now.)

Being that Mormons (I'm one) are very vulnerable to pyramid schemes, I've seen several people's lives destroyed by the likes of Amway and various herbal supplement rackets, so the BS alarm is somewhere between "Space Shuttle takeoff" and "Manowar" right now. What's really painful is that the same arguments I was deploying against her are those that are often deployed against Mormons--particularly "They're just exploiting your beliefs so they can get money."

Anyone have any experience with these people? She's selling it pretty hard, and it's pretty obviously a pyramid scheme. My question is, how hard should I work on her boyfriend to make sure that she doesn't throw her life away on this thus far?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you shouldn't at all. i know she's a friend, but some folks have to learn the hard way. besides, then she won't fall for it again, right?

3. SHe probably can't be helped anyway. Let her do her own thing, and she'll learn the hard way

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Man, I have been approached by so many of these people, at one point, I thought I must have had "SUCKER" or "GULLIBLE" tattooed on my forehead! I sat in on phone card schemes, online shopping center schemes and long distance calling plan schemes. I had one of these "recruiters" tell me once, when I asked him, "Why, if this is such a sure thing and I am guaranteed to make money and you're guaranteed to make money, why don't you front me the $100 sign-up fee?" His reply was, "You need to pay your own fees so 'the plan' knows how dedicated you are." Whatever. The last I heard, the calling card deal went south (the company declared bankruptcy and gave all of its "investors" the shaft) and the guy that tried to sell me on the online shopping mall is still working his day job and driving a broke-ass POS.

I agree with JT and tallguybcs -- some people need to experience this kind of thing for themselves.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Tell her, "I don't have peace with the idea."

6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    After my wedding reception some of us went out to a restaurant to chitchat. Lo and behold an uninvited wedding guest tags along and starts talking about how they are going to retire in a couple years and they are doing so well, and then asks me and my new wife if we want to join Amway!! auuuugh!!! I just wanted to slap the crap out of her. But we were with a bunch of other friends so we just ignored them the rest of the meal.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My friend, Steve, got hooked into Amway. Every time he'd ask, "Are you financially secure?" I'd say, "Yes, very much so." And that usually killed the sales pitch.

8. A friend of mine tried getting me into Quixtar a few years ago. I never got interested in it, especially since you had to bother total strangers about a load af crap. In retrospect, I have NO REGRETS. He ended up getting kicked out of the Air Force for fraud. I'm not sure if the two things were related or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Besides, I couldn't make money by bothering people I don't know, knowing how much I hate being bother by people I don't know trying to sell me something I'm not interested in.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have had many (bankruptcy) clients fall into this trap. It is my professional opinion that multi level marketing sucks. Stay away from it.

10. Peter, your concern for your friend is very noble. If I may suggest something; Print out this thread and show it to her. If this doesn't make her stop and think for a moment, she probably will have to learn the hard way. :(

Sad, but, some people just won't listen to reason.

Mike J.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Whenever I get confronted with this stuff, I repeat a little mantra:

"No thanks".

It doesn't take long for most people to get bored with that. For fun I may intersperse hopeful comments like "that doesn't sound bad" or "really?"... and then go right back to the mantra;)

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I find that "No, thanks--I'm driving" works wonders.

By the time they realize what I've actually said, I've already closed the door in their face, or hung up on them.

If it's a friend trying to rope me in, I'll usually just punch them in the arm, and tell them to shut up before I bodyslam them. That seems to work, too.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Some years back my ex-wife and I (of course this was pre-ex-ing) were invited to a "dinner party" by one of my ex's co-workers. They were a couple just about our age, the evening started out fine, good people, good food, good conversation...then the husband asks the "do you mind if we talk to you about a business opportunity?" question...oh oh...here it comes...Amway :rolleyes: . He then proceeds to pop in a video, and it's not Amway, but same same :mad: .

I was flabbergasted! The whole thing was a setup. I politely, but firmly, let them know that we were not interested, thanked them for a lovely evening and proceeded to get the hell outta there. The thing that really pisses me off the most about these schemes is that they invariably advise the recruitment of friends and relatives.

14. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I thought it said amtrack. I was feeling really bad for your friend, because I thought he/she died/was horribly injured when a passing train sucked him/her onto the tracks.

Well, that's a relief

15. Here's an idea: try smoking just a pinch less marijuana, mmm-kay?

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That kind of stuff doesn't bug me.

It's just a business. Maybe not the best business model, but looking at how ethical our more maistream businesses seem to be getting... maybe it isn't a bad one.

I dunno. A business is not bad by itself, it's the people behind it.

17. You should be bugged, because multilevel marketing firms (AKA pyramid schemes) often lie blatantly to drum up more business. Like I said, a web-based company increasing profits 60% year-on-year? You gotta be kidding me.

18. SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, not having seen the stats myself, I don't know the answer to that one.

But like I said before, a business is just a product, mixed with an idea on how to sell and distribute it.

It's the people that count. A honest person running a multilevel marketing doodad, will be better to work with than a dishonest person owning a more standard business.

So Multilevel stuff could work, if it was executed honestly, by honest people. As far as the actual real-life corporations in question.... I don't know how honest any of them are.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I can't imagine who gets suckered into these things, I really can't. "Make 1000's working part time!"

If it sounds too good to be true...IT IS.