friend of mine wants to start guitar....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 15, 2003.

1. she's got a budget of up to 300 bucks, and considering her parents aren't so fond of the used bargains yet, what do you think would be a good combination of amps and guitars that'll be great bang for buck?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just need to remember quality at that price range is very inconsistent.

I personally don't like them, but the Squier packs seem alright for beginners, but my guitarist still has the Epi LP from the Epiphone starter pack and dropped some Duncans in after a few years, guitar feels good and sounds great!

Just my $0.02
  3. get the ESP Package via Musican's friend...

my friend has one and it's a sweet "beginners" guitar...he's had no problems with the pack at all.
  4. I trust ESP a lot, I have a bass from them and when we chipped in to get my friend a guitar, I picked out the ESP viper for him and DAMN it is so nice for the price...

note "she" sexism or anything, but I know she's gonna be looking cosmetic prettiness as well..not that everyone doesn' is gonna be her first axe. I was thinking of aiming for a guitar up to 200 bucks and some Behringer amp or maybe even the Ibanez 20 watt amp to go with it...
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not fond of packeges... I would just get a low end Ibanez RG and a cheap amp.
  6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  7. ah, looks cool...
    I'm actually eye-balling this one..cuz last time I played it, I liked it, especially for the price

and I think I'm gonna reccommend her getting a 15 watt ibanez amp...loud enough for jams, loud enough for practice, loud enough for know?
  8. Now that Rondo music has been mentioned, the Agile LP2500 Les Paul copy is supposed to be incredible (and beautiful, hint, hint) for the price, but that probably wouldn't leave with any decent amount of money for an amp. If course, all amps under $300ish tend to suck anyway. Mayby you'll be able to find something. I also tend to like Yamaha Pacificas.
  9. true about amps under 300, but she doesn't need anything big or powerful for now, just something to hear herself across the room, I've played a lot of the little weakling amps, and I like the Ibanez ones, good for the money... If her budget is 350, she could go w\ the Fes Paul, I don't see why not, it is pretty and I hear good things...
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For the price of $180, I don't think Squier Delonge Strat can be beaten - real wood(no plywood here), nice construction and simplest hardware configuration possible so it's very suitable for a beginner. I own one, I'd say it's at the level of MIM Fenders.

For the amp, either Kustom Tube 12(tube pre) or Behringer GM110, they are inexpensive and get nice reviews considering the price, both are around $100.
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    get her shiznit from that rondo music the SALE they're having at the moment looks killer, EG: that les paul is $99 :O:O
  12. is having an end of summer sale. I checked out a few pages, and there are some good deals there. I bought two regular guitars during end of summer/winter/closeout sales, and got pretty steep discounts.

A word of warning: If you see something you like, buy it! I have blown a couple of deals by hesitating just one day.