Friend recommended ROTOSOUNDS?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by opivy3056, Dec 16, 2004.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up?

Ive read the forums and most people seem to bash Rotosound strings. I still havent found a set of strings I really enjoy playing on. I know I wouldnt like flatwounds at all, but I've tried a lot of the roundwounds with no luck. I tried Fenders, GHS, Slinkies, and D'Addario XL's. The fenders were ok but didnt have the sound or the tension I was looking for. The GHS boomers died too quickly. The slinkies were too bright and metallic sounding, and the D'Addario's seemed to die over the weekend (whats up with that?)... but still had some nice punch (but weak attack) even after they were dead. I just want a kind of string that will let the tone of my bass ring through the best it can, some nice strings that will last a while without being coated.

Are rotosounds worth trying? Or am I better off with something else? My neighbor, who plays bass, told me I might like them based on what I told him about how I play.

I normally play fingerstyle over the bridge pickup on my MIM j-bass (i dont play really hard, but I chop at the strings.). I also like to throw in some slap. I play hard rock and funk.

Im willing to try anything, thanks for you help! :hyper:
  2. bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    Try blue steels or rotos.
    DRs you'll probably find to bright and metallic sounding also.
    I think everything you have tried so far has been nickel.