Friend Stole

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigWig Will, May 15, 2003.

1. I've been friends with this girl who plays drums for the school band for the past few years. She was one of my first friends when I moved to RI and we've been pretty good friends all this time.

Earlier this week, one of the guitarists(A) in the band got his $2300 guitar stolen from the band room. It turned out that it was my friend who took it.

The whole scenario is really distressing. I had heard about the guitar being taken, but I initially thought that he had misplaced it or something along that lines. When I heard that it was her, I was shocked. She really isn't the kind of person who would do that. And I admit, A is a jerk a lot of times and I don't like him at all. But you don't take steal people's instrument, even if you are angry at them.

This whole chain of events happened within the span of 2 days so it's still confusing as to what happened and what is going to happen...but I just needed to "vent" so to speak. Thanks.
  2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    so was she thinking that she could just pawn it and get some cash out of it? That's sad. Safest place for your gear is in your possession. I bet there's a long list of "band-room thefts"...
  3. I think so, but the bandroom at my school is actually really safe. It's sort of off in the nether regions of the it's not like many people are around there. But the door is always unlocked during school and I've left my bass and mandolin (really expensive) in there multiple times and no one's done anything...I don't know if they'll change this policy now though.
  4. Thievery makes me ill.:meh:

Especially when someone steals from a musician.

Double especially when it's one musician stealing from another!!!!:mad:

The fine for stealing from a musician should be public humiliation on a national scale for a whole year. And being required to payback the value threefold.

:spit: :mad:
  5. Being buggered in a town square by three large perverts on National T.V. and paraded through the streets whilst butt naked.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Will: I understand what you're going through. I went through something simular, but it was tad worse. They were BOTH friends of mine, so each wanted me to choose sides. It sucked big time! The thief couldn't understand why I couldn't defend his actions. :confused:
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you know that somebody has committed a criminal act and don't tell the Police - doesn't that make you an 'accessory' to the act and liable for prosecution youself!!

I know that would happen in the UK!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I assume the guitar has been recovered and returned to its rightful owner. If it hasn't, you're as big a turd as she is. If it has, you're not a turd.
  9. He went to pick it up at the police station yesterday.

And I wasn't the one that caught her with the guitar. A mutual friend caught her and turned her in, then I heard about it. So the "turdiness" of my nature is unaffected.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This is why, ladies and gentlemen, if you don't have a locker in the band room, keep your instrument with you or in the teachers office.
  11. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yeah no kidding
    we just got some lockers for our band room, good idea, its an expensive instrument, you can't afford to take chances. I myself take mine home everyday, so its not much of a problem. altough mines not worth much:D.

12. I agree...

I mean,I think the musician would know how bad it would be if they lost there instrument,no matter the cost.

What if Guitarist(A) took her bass drum? or her prized-double bass pedal?

then she would feel the same...

I hope you do the right thing...

If I were you,I'd tell her that it's very wrong and make her return it,however...I would just hide it and be like "dude! I found it!" instead of getting your friend caught....

never forget this situation bro....

13. That's a tough situation. We had some band room thefts occur in my day, but it was someone stealing the cash box. A lot of people lost friends because of acusations made out of frustration, even when they turned out to be false.

People just make dumb choices sometimes. And now she's going to have to live with that. Hopefully she'll just realize what she did was wrong, and learn from it.

What's her situation now? Charges being filed, ect.? Or is it being handled in-school? Doesn't sound like it, since you mentioned him picking his guitar up at the police station...

Gah, I wish people could learn lessons without having to go through negative situations first...

It seems like most people posting don't have a bit of compassion in them. I'm glad to say I haven't committed any crimes, but I know people who have, and who are living life a day of repentance at a time. It's not so black and white all the time.

I hope everything rights itself in the near future for your situation, man. Glad to here he has his property back, too.

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You simply can't leave anything unguarded in an unlocked public room or other public space these days. That's the unfortunate state of the world. Some of my things (music gear, bike, car) I hate to even be out of sight of for too long, if it's not stolen it might get vandalized by some frustrated loser. It's really annoying to have to be worried about this.

As to compassion - it's really hard to accept that a person can take the right to destroy something I have spent countless hours of work to build up. There may be mitigating circumstances and valid explanations, but no excuses.
  15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Praise god, whatever you perceive it to be. And congratulations on maintaining your non-turd status.
  16. I agree with you there, that there is NO excuse for this type of act. And, it's easy for me to preach compassion...but if it happened to me, I'd probably be out for blood right about now. I still wouldn't be justified, though.

I second the congrats on the non-turdom.

17. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    psh, she stole a guitar. She could have at least stolen a bass, so she looks smarter than someone who would steal only the bass's little bro. ;) Would have been even better if it was a DB, then she could be credited with having the balls (lol:D) to actually try and steal something that big.

Oh well, at least peace is restored. I agree with the public humiliation idea, that would be great! I'm sure NOBODY would steal anything from a musician again.
  18. Okay, just so no one freaks out and so everyone's on the same page.

1) I wasn't the one who caught her with the guitar, it was one of my friends who went to her house and saw her with it. He turned her in, even though it was difficult, he said he was glad he did it.

2) Guitar got sent to the police station, A went and picked it up.

3) Charges might be pressed, she's still a minor though, so I don't know what's going to happen. I heard "jail time" mentioned, but I don't know it anything will come of that. Don't want to sound too sensationalistic.

4) She's currently suspended but will still go to the prom, and maybe still graduate

5) I'm saddened that she did this but also angry that she doesn't feel that what she did was wrong. Even if you're pissed at someone (A is a real jerk, I should mention, and under other circumstances, I wouldn't feel bad about bad things happening to him.) you put baloney on their car or egg their house, but you don't take their instrument. That's not only (obviously) illegal, but its like cutting off someone's thumbs. You basically immobilize them.

So...that's that.
  19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This should be helpful in evaluating whether she's someone with whom you really want to be friends.
  20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses