Friend wants to sell me his amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willc132, Oct 9, 2011.

1. willc132

willc132

Oct 9, 2011
    My friend wants to sell me his Crate BX25 DLX for $100. should I buy it?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Not unless you're into giving him twice what it's worth.

3. ^ this. save a little more, find something nice from the classifieds here.

4. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Check your local Craigslist if $100 is all your budget will allow.

I've seen Fender BX100's, Peavey TKO 65's, Crate BX100's and Pevey TNT150's going for that much lately and all of those are much better than the BX25.

5. willc132

willc132

Oct 9, 2011
    He said that its good and he's been gigging with it for 2 years and he is just selling it because he needs money to fix his car. Do u guys really think its a bad idea?

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    25 watts is not gig worthy. Unless you're after that signature Crate sound, walk away.

7. Listen to burningskies!

8. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    If you want to buy it to be nice guy, go ahead. That said, you can get much better for $100. A used peavey or something.

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    +1 5string i just saw a tnt150 on CL here in cincy for 150. what do you need as far as an amp goes? your first? some folks here may seriously disagree, but imho anything less than 50 watts and a ten is a waste of time for bass. if you just need to amplify your instrument for practice in your bedroom or something, you really can survive on about any cheap 10 watt guitar jobbie. if you are getting together your first group, but don't have acoustic drums (like your using a machine or sampler or w/e) something like 25 to 50watts will suffice, but you'll still need to get something bigger eventually. there are lots of opinions and advice to be had here though, best of luck.

10. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Well played.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Some quick Googling will show that the going rate for those is $50-$80...some "friend"! :eyebrow:

12. jowens004

jowens004

Jul 25, 2009
    Windermere, FL
    I would take a BXR Fender over the crate any day of the week. They have one at our practice room that I use when im feeling lazy, its not bad at all.

13. willc132

willc132

Oct 9, 2011
    he said he could go $80, I would just be practicing and playing w my friend who plays drums

14. I hope he plays with Q tips.

15. Listen to the people here. No one has said to go for it. A few people have said you're getting ripped off.

It will not be sufficient for a drummer. Unless you have a quiet drummer. Even if you do, you will be pushing it, which you shouldn't do.

Edit: He said he's been gigging with it for two years? What kind of gigs does he play, exactly? Or does he Line out from his amp?

16. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    lmfao

17. willc132

willc132

Oct 9, 2011
    i dont really know, but hes a good friend so i dont think he would be ripping me off and i found other reviews where they say its a good amp

18. No one said it was a bad amp!

They said it was not worth what he was asking!

And then every one told you that it would not be loud enough for a drummer!

Do what you like with your money but why ask if you dont want to listen?

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's a good home pratice amp, and it's an okay coffee shop amp, but you cant play with any drummer.

20. Okay, so he might not rip you off. Reviews seem okay, but not great. If you've played the amp and like it a lot, go for it. But I think you can do better for your money on CL.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021