Friend wants to sell me his amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willc132, Oct 9, 2011.

1. :D:D:D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Why did you ask for advice if you don't want to pay any attention to it? Its not like anyone here has said anything that makes me think this amp is worth more than the 50 bucks it seems to go for used.

3. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Yes...it is a good "practice" amp....but fact is, it's not worth $100.

Pay it if you want...but 100 smackers could get you much better.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I wouldnt do it crate bass gear is pretty much garbage... my first amp was a crate 25 watt combo with an 8 inch speaker. I dont remember the model name it lasted 3 months before i gave it away to a friend. Then got a summer job and bought an ampeg ba115 combo that I liked but it hissed like crazy.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :eyebrow:

Crate BX25 - Google Search

EDIT: He's probably not doing it in malice, he just doesn't understand the TMV of that amp.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Apparently you didn't get BurningSkies' hint.

Yes, it is a bad idea. No, don't buy it at that price.

There y'go.

7. Money aside; just to hedge your bet a little perhaps your friend could let you borrow the amp so you could see how well it holds up with the drummer?

8. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Owned one and used it a few time for rehearsal, not good with drums at all. Nice if you need something for you room...

9. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    $100 is overpriced for a 2 year old Crate 25w. There are better deals to be had in used amps. I'm not fan of Crate but you can buy a brand new Fender 30w for around $150 delivered. But if you plan on using it for anything else other than a practice amp it'll be to small,

10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    And those are the ASKING prices--I've seen them on my local Craigslist for $35. Again, giving your friend the benefit of the doubt, he has no idea how little his amp is worth on the used market. If he knew, and he's a real friend, he'd just give it to you. So, no need to insult him, just tell him you've found something else that suits your needs better. Peace, Bob

11. willc132

willc132

Oct 9, 2011
    so i talked to him today, its not a 25 watt, its a 200watt. im going to check it out tomorrow, if its not good ill look up the amps you guys told me. thanks for feedback

12. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    That's a pretty huge difference there willc so you may want to get back on here and ask about 200w amp comparisons before you buy. We've all been giving you feedback based on a 25w.

13. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

Jul 24, 2011
    Riverside
    ...back to reevaluating and fact finding lol.

Well for 200w thats a heck of a good deal @ $80

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If it's 100 or 200 watt and I assume it has a 15 in it? You'll be able to jam with your drummer friend and probably cover a gig at your small local corner bar or in-laws house party. Assuming everything works as it should, it's worth $80. Assuming you don't have a gig worthy amp, I'd give him the money to fix his car, take the amp and you both can call it a good day.

Make sure that's actually what the amp produces. If the "200watts" is stamped by where the power cord goes in, that's how much electricity it consumes from the wall, not how much it produces.

If it's the "bx25" that came up in the search I did, it's 27 watts into a 10" speaker. If that's it, any drummers whos not a pansy and any guitar player using more than 5 watts will drown you out to the point you'd have better luck singing the bass part. It's a "practice by yourself in the bedroom" type of amp.

It's entirely possible we may have model numbers mixed up here, that's why I hate model numbers. Nobody knows what the hell a "bx25op151xyz100" is. Perhaps a link to the actual amp?

15. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Yeah, a 200 watt 1x15 Crate is a good deal at $80-$100. It's also enough to gig with in small venues, and will keep up with a drummer as long as he isn't terribly loud.

Of course, you were fairly explicit with the model number, and if you have it right, that's a 25 watt amp. This would change my answer to run, don't walk, away from this deal. It isn't worth ruining a friendship over.

16. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    +1

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    If its a BX25 then it's not 200w. If its something else, you should find out what.

18. willc132

willc132

Oct 9, 2011
    i think i might hav got the model # wrong, sorry bout that, im new.

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Mistakes are mistakes - it's cool. Most of us on here just want to help you pick out GOOD bass gear and not have you waste your money. We have all wasted money on bass purchases in the past.....I wasted too much.