Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Friendly gigspam SF May 30 (Friday Nite!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 20, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Blue Lamp Lounge
    9:30pm
    561 Geary Blvd.
    San Francisco, CA
    with: Silver (from L.A.) www.silvermusic.us
    Cover: $5.00

This is our first time headlining, so we're playing more than our usual sets.

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Hey, I am going to try to make it out to this with a couple of my friends. Hopefully I will see you there!

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Sounds great, Ben.

We're all pretty excited about the gig. It should be a lot of fun.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How long are you playing?

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    10:30-12:30 or so.

I have a bass solo in the second set!:)

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When are you going to gig with Ze Manel? Get him to go on a Pacific Northwest Tour with you on bass. :D

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd love to play with Zé again. Unfortunately he already has a regular bass guy. I have my own west african project to worry about. I think the cd is being mastered now. A couple weeks ago, we were featured locally on cable. (I didn't announce it because I didn't know wen it would come on, besides which, I have no cable.) I think Zé Manel's working on his next cd now.

My main band's doing some interesting stuff though. This is definitely a good year. We've played L.A. twice and are playing Madison, WI on july 5th. I'll post details when they become available.

Oops, just checked the website. Here's the info.

Saturday, July 5th:

Anchor Inn
    9:30pm
    1970 Atwood Ave
    Madison, WI
    Phone: (608) 244-6095

The gig last night went well. we had a full room the entire night and played until 2 a.m. The Blue Lamp is located near the SF downtown area where many hotels are located, so we got a lot of tourists in addition to our regular crowd. In fact, we got a roomful of belgians who were very lively. They danced through most of the gig and wouldn't let us stop - we had to play a third four song set!

It was very exciting to be a headliner and it felt good to get the response we got. Playing more than one set has taught me a valuable lesson about warming up and pacing myself too. My left hand's a little sensitive today.