Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Friend's Fender P-Bass Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedVampyre, Apr 26, 2005.

1. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    One of my good friends has a MIJ Fender P-Bass that he'd like to upgrade, preferably to an active setup. We're not talking about adding a J or anything too extravagant. He just wants to change out the pickup and add a preamp.

I looked inside the cavity that houses the pots and realized that a 9V battery couldn't possibly fit in there... Is there a preamp that'll fit without any routing done to the body? If the body has to be routed where would you put the battery compartment?

Finally, which pickup/preamp combo would you suggest?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd go with EMG's, and yes, a 9V will fit with some slight modification. Around the bottom edge of the cavity, under the jack, you can shave off one of the bumps on the edge to get a 9V to fit snugly but securely in there. The EMG's were my personal favorite as far as active pickups go. Passive controls though, but they sounded great.

Or, if you can find a Raven Labs PBR-1 (no longer made) it's a drop in replacement preamp that uses coin cell batteries. Takes about 10 minutes to install and sounds divine.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Duncan Quater Pounds for p-ups, and the Raven Labs or Aguilar OPB-1 pre.

4. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Is the PBR-1 not made any more? It is still listed as a product on their website.

Both the EMG and the Quarter Pounder sound like good options. My friend really likes the Warwick sound... what about using the MEC Precision pickup?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Steve Rabe stopped producing everything. Raven Labs is no more.