1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Friendship bread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    ...is freakin' awesome. I'm making some up right now. Just mushing the bag, and on Saturday, I get to finally make it.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It is in the breaking of the bread we come to know him.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Pretty good stuff. My brother made some not too long ago that was awesome. Be sure to use actual sugar, though. One of my friends used Splenda, and it was absolutely terrible. Then again, I can't eat/drink anything w/ artificial sweeteners because they all taste horrible to me.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You DO know why splenda doesn't work, right? Yeast helps make it what it is. They can't eat splenda. They eat glucose. Nature hates artificial sweeteners, too.

5. What is this friendship bread. Reminds me of girl scouts and friendship bracelets. Or ravers and their kandies. PLURR!

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's a bread that you get a bag of starter batter from a friend. You work with it over 10 days, then mix up a bigger amount, and share it. It's basically a yeast dough stuff that you keep propigating by rotating these "starter" batches around. Then you mix in more stuff, and make more starters, then mix what you have left to make your own bread.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ahh, then I'm not weird for hating the stuff. I'm supposed to hate it! :p

8. Are these your own recipes or do you buy these in stores as a 'friendship bread starter kit'? :ninja:

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Exactly! I've kind of gravitated towards unbleached sugar, and sometimes I buy a bit of sugar cane from the store to suck on. Good sugar fix!

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think it was originally an Amish thing. All the starter is is yeast (activated in warm water) added to flour, milk, and sugar. You get a copy of the recipe with a starter bag, and you go from there.

11. Friendship bread rocks! Do you make yours with raisins?

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no, I don't like raisins in bread products... Oatmeal cookies on the other hand, amazing.

13. water yeast and sugar eh...

:eek:somebody should make friendship beer:p

pass on the wort :D

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yum... Interesting idea!